Thread: Drywall

Default Drywall

So do you just decide that it's finished??? Apparently you just have to quit looking at it if you're ever gonna paint it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

To be a good finisher you have to have no attention to detail. A perfectionist makes a horrible finisher . Took me a week to finish a 3x3 patch at our old house.
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Specifics? What exactly are you looking at as finished or to do? There are 5 levels of finish. I estimate drywall and metal studs every day of the week and have to deal with all of it.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 11-11-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'm doing a whole room over the garage. Angles everywhere.... I ain't telling no one how long I've been finishing....
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Specifics? What exactly are you looking at as finished or to do? There are 5 levels of finish. I estimate drywall and metal studs every day of the week and have to deal with all of it.
    Just keep finding a little spot here, a little spot there... just places I missed sanding, or drug the blade across... I just touched up a couple more spots. I'll sand them sometime tomorrow then walk out with my eyes closed.

Don't just touch up small spots, you'll get build-up and never get it to float out. They might look good right after you sand but will stand out when you paint the area. If you have a small spot skim it way out and then sand it back smooth.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

When i bought my house my wife and i decided to pull off all the wall paper and paint all the walls. Holy hell that was the worse decision i have made in a long time. You couldnt see how bad of a job the sheet rock guy did because of the walpaper. Not to mention this wallpaper had been on for a loooong time and the glue they used back then aint like the glue they have now. And to make it that much worse my wife and father in law decided they would "help" me out by stripping the wall paper off one day while i was working. The walls looked like somebody had shot them with #4 black clouds from an angle. Nicks and cuts all over the damn walls. I had to skim the entire wall with a thin coat and then sand it back out. I spent weeks in there every afternoon after work sanding and muddin sanding and mudding. Not only did i have to repair the fucked up job left by the original guy, but i had to repair all of the holes and gouges left by my lovely wife and father in law. I got to the point one time that i was contemplating hanging new sheet rock on the rooms that were left.

Finally i walked out saying the hell with it, it is what it is. And surprisingly, other than one spot in my bathroom by the light switch, i rarely notice any imperfections anywhere in the house. you will never find all the mistakes. best thing to do is let someone come in that hasnt been working on it and let them go through and mark the spots that need attention. then fix those and be done with it.

Paint will either hide your imperfections or make them stand out. Choose a flat paint in a light color if you have questionable drywall skills.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 11-11-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Prime it, the roller will hide alot. If youre going over it with a halogen light you will never be done. Prime and then touch it up if it needs it. Put some chalk line chalk in your mud to know where you been. But the primer will make it look alot better..and use a flat finish paint.

Edit: I just saw where DDS gave you some good paint advice.
    Last edited by charlie horse; 11-11-2011 at 12:27 PM.

To hell with finishin' drywall and all it stands for. I'm to damn anal for that shit. I'll hang a 4x8 sheet and have mud feathered all the way out to the damn middle of it from all 4 edges. Takes me forever.

Stop screwing with it.

Prime it, point it up once more and paint the mother fucker.

Fuck Drywall and the bastard that invented it

I'd rather fuck with drywall anyday over plaster. Of course is get a little bit of a PITA when you have 4 layers, 2 of them HD or High Abuse with a level 5 finish, security mesh, sheilding, lead lining, etc in the walls and making sure all that gets in there with guys that only know how to run a screw gun and razor knife. Oh and some of the shit in those Goobermint buildings will make you scratch your heads.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 11-11-2011 at 03:31 PM.