Thread: deer processing question

Default deer processing question

for those of you that process your own venison, what do you add to the ground meat (lard, beef fat, bacon,) and how much do you add....

Pork fat

For burger 10%
    For sausage 15-20%

I like more fat in my sauage. You can use beef fat, but I like the taste and easy of working with pork myself. If you are doing it yourself easiest thing to do if you can't find bulk fat is wait for Boston bust to go on sell. Trim your fat off them or just mix them in with your sausage.
    Phillipians 4:13

Nothing. I just grind it up.

Boston Butt or pork belly

We go to the butcher shop and ask for "pork trimmings". Use a littte more for sausage, little less for burger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

We use to mix it with beef or pork fat that you could get from any grocery store, but all the ones around here have deals with the processors. Now I just buy the cheapest fatest hamburger I can find. I go 2/3's deer to 1/3 fat hamburger. It works out extremely well.

Have never mixed fat in with our burger and it turns out just fine.

Haven't gotten into making sausage, but plan to this year and will look into adding fat for it.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Quote Originally Posted by Rem11-87 View Post
    We use to mix it with beef or pork fat that you could get from any grocery store, but all the ones around here have deals with the processors. Now I just buy the cheapest fatest hamburger I can find. I go 2/3's deer to 1/3 fat hamburger. It works out extremely well.
    I do the same. Works good.

Beef fat for burger, pork for sausage. Mix it in at the percentage you desire. Any grocery store sells it for about $1/lb.

Do yall use an electric grinder? I have tried two and neither were very powerful. I was disapointed with them. We have a large hand grinder that works extremely well.

I don't add or have any added to mine.

dont grind myself, but had a butcher that would grind for me out west. had no less than 400#s of elk and deer ground over the years with 20%smoked bacon..... unfreakinbelievable...the burgers and meatloafs were awesome.....i need to buy a grinder, cause beef or pork fat burger aint the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

I've had some good ground venison burger and some that wasn't fit for a dawg. The crappy stuff left a bad taste in your mouth and stuck to the roof of your mouth. I don't know for sure, but I believe the processor must have used some low grade beef fat, the shit was NASTY!!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Yep!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

[QUOTE=sprigdog;928173]dont grind myself, but had a butcher that would grind for me out west. had no less than 400#s of elk and deer ground over the years with 20%smoked baconQUOTE]

Sprig I have done that before, but not in a while. I forgot about it actually. If I'm lucky enough to get one soon I might have to make a batch up.
    Phillipians 4:13

We use pork butt.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

I add pepper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.