Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Wee Tee Clear Cuts

Do not believer that we have lobbyist in the foresty. We as an industry can improve our sediment control; however, I would argue that it is not much more than what overland flow will do after a large rain.

Logging has come a LONG way since the implementation of B.M.P.'s.

Quote Originally Posted by powellj1 View Post
    Another ignorant post.

I do not profess to be any expert on timber management, in fact I am a complete novice on this subject. But to give a blanket statement, that an attorney or someone in real estate cannot also support something for the sole reason of preserving the area for the public, only serves to paint the person making that statement as ignorant and naive.

I'll give a personal example. My fiance's family receives much of their income from both timber management and real estate development. My future father in law has built many apartment complexes throughout the state and along the east coast. The family has also placed conservation easements on many large tracts to ensure that they will remain untouched in perpetuity. Some friends who came to hunt with us last weekend even commented that they had never seen cypress trees as large as we have. The family is very committed to conservation efforts throughout Horry County and the state, while at the same time gaining income from development.
    Son, you may be marrying into money, but you need to realize this simple fact: her family ain't never going to see you as a "we" or an "us" when it comes to their wealth. The sooner you realize that, the happier you'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupelo View Post
    Do not believer that we have lobbyist in the foresty.
    Try again.

How many conservation easements are created simply for the well being of the land?

Quote Originally Posted by powellj1 View Post
    Another ignorant post.

I do not profess to be any expert on timber management, in fact I am a complete novice on this subject. But to give a blanket statement, that an attorney or someone in real estate cannot also support something for the sole reason of preserving the area for the public, only serves to paint the person making that statement as ignorant and naive.

I'll give a personal example. My fiance's family receives much of their income from both timber management and real estate development. My future father in law has built many apartment complexes throughout the state and along the east coast. The family has also placed conservation easements on many large tracts to ensure that they will remain untouched in perpetuity. Some friends who came to hunt with us last weekend even commented that they had never seen cypress trees as large as we have. The family is very committed to conservation efforts throughout Horry County and the state, while at the same time gaining income from development.

You sure your intended's family didn't get a conservation easement on their cypress swamp tracts because they can't develop them? Maybe a tax break?

Let me see a tract of land they own east of the waterway in Horry that isn't wetlands with a conservation easement and I'll change my tune. Feel free to pm me a TMS#.

Galivants Ferry is a swamp, makes sense. At the end of the day its still protected land.

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    How many conservation easements are created simply for the well being of the land?
    And how many for a tax credit? Good question.

Jab, who is the lobbyist

Really, in what ways??? I honestly don't see a huge change.

RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Contrary to many on here's thoughts, there are a lot of large acreage property owners that care about the land and want to see is conserved and many have put easements on their land regardless of the tax break.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Tupelo View Post
    Do not believer that we have lobbyist in the foresty. We as an industry can improve our sediment control; however, I would argue that it is not much more than what overland flow will do after a large rain.

Incorrect. Very incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Contrary to many on here's thoughts, there are a lot of large acreage property owners that care about the land and want to see is conserved and many have put easements on their land regardless of the tax break.
    Please provide some examples of a large tract that a) has development potential b) is not predominately wetlands C) is not owned by someone who is looking to capitalize on the incentives. I care about the land too but I am not naive enough to put an encumbrance on my land that would detract from its value.

Off the top of my head this is a fine example.

http://www.lolt.org/conservation-pro...shem-farm.html

There are a lot of people around the Lowcountry that are involved in the Land Trust and do it for reasons other than tax breaks. As a matter of fact the current president of the Board of Trustees for LOLT is a commercial developer, why don't you ask him about his involvement.
    Last edited by Southernduck; 03-08-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    cut\'em

My land in Hampton Co. is not huge but is beautiful and very development prone.I put a conservation easement on it.I have never gotten 1 penny in tax breaks.I wanted to protect a special place.Feels good.

Mr. Hewitt is a great guy and I don't doubt his passion for conservation however I stand by my statement that tax incentives play a MAJOR role. Spend some time looking over property transfers and or spend some time in the planning office. Its not just coincidence that a lot of easements coincide with the selling of property, or the due diligence period of planned developments. Theres ALWAYS more to the story than meets the eye!

Please provide some examples of a large tract that a) has development potential b) is not predominately wetlands C) is not owned by someone who is looking to capitalize on the incentives. I care about the land too but I am not naive enough to put an encumbrance on my land that would detract from its value.
    How would you prove (C)?
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Research ie. Plantation in Gtown county places 1500 acres into conservation easement, simultaneously hires development firm to start pud documents for remaining 2000 acres.

I am not saying that it doesn't happen im just saying there are not alot of people like southernduck stated.
    Last edited by bitesize; 03-08-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Tax incentives do play a role in a lot of easements and in many cases it is the tax incentives that get landowners over the hump and signing documents, but a large majority of these landowners come looking at easements because like spanishmoss said above, they love their land and they want to protect it.

Bitesize are you involved in any conservation organizations?
    Last edited by Southernduck; 03-08-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    cut\'em

Research ie. Plantation in Gtown county places 1500 acres into conservation easement, simultaneously hires development firm to start pud documents for remaining 2000 acres.
    I don't think we will ever see the development of that land in our lifetime but then I could be wrong.
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.