Quote Originally Posted by duckcrazed View Post
Nor do we need to see stocking as a panacea. If gators can't handle hunting pressure then we need to issue less tags or have a revolving season, open some years, closed the next couple. Even if we are using wild eggs, stocking is not the answer, nor will it ever be for any sustainable population of any species. Once you open that door it is a slippery slope...
Bro, we ain't talking a "GRP" Gator Release Program. Stocking (wild harvested eggs) in Louisiana has increased the gator population because of survivability and has been done for years. How is it a panacea, it's about managing the resource. I'd rather see 200,000 gators in this state vs. the current 100,000 and 2000 tags each year rather than a shut down and let 'em grow to 12 feet because we need bigger gators. It's about "putting back" rather than just being a "consumer". I'd like to think that most of us would prefer to see our wildlife resources increase rather than this talk of a decrease after being open to hunting.

Bog, as far as big gators being "scarce", if you or I were being chased and hunted we'd get pretty scarce ourselves.