Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Offshore

That it is welcome compared to tournament fishing a stalled out tropical storm, that is for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    If a beer and a sandwich can't fix your upset tummy, buy a bream buster...
    I don't like beer but I'll drink one of that is the remedy.

I've been wanting badly to try offshore and almost booked a charter last October while we were on the coast. But worried I'd be miserable after spending hundreds of dollars to puke all day.

When I was younger I rode rollercoasters with no issue, now a bumpy plane landing sometimes will make me a bit queasy. But dang I want to catch some grouper.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Nowadays all we seem to do is tournament fish so if there isn’t a small craft advisory we are going.
    I do not miss those days whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

It's amazing why that makes sense on the water and nowhere else.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

A long while back, I was coming in with my brother in law, his brother which probably a mess of Charleston guys on here know, family grew up on Shem.. and their dad along with mine. His dad was diabetic, and began to get sick, and had am episode.. my bil tried to get a sandwich I to him, then some sort of juice he carried, all it did was anger him. He is one of the cooler nicest guys you'd meet. When I was able to see land he said get me to the 40, and I'll swim in. I ducked around that one bar at low tide, and dropped him in front of the house. I don't think he's gone back since

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post

I've been wanting badly to try offshore and almost booked a charter last October while we were on the coast. But worried I'd be miserable after spending hundreds of dollars to puke all day.

When I was younger I rode rollercoasters with no issue, now a bumpy plane landing sometimes will make me a bit queasy. But dang I want to catch some grouper.
    Hundreds?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Hundreds?
    Yea it isn't cheap. Everything I saw was like $600 and up for a full day.

Yea it isn't cheap. Everything I saw was like $600 and up for a full day.
    At $600, unless it’s a headboat or junk charter you aren’t catching grouper.

There was a dude in MI that would take people out right outside of sight of land, drive around in circles for an hour then get close to bottom and catch a few fish. People’d have bank bass, ringtails and one or two eaters to hit the dock with. He’d get $6-800.00 a trip screwing folks over like that. Spend 2hrs going out and miraculously they’d be in in 30.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Where you getting an offshore trip for $600? Do they get out of sight of land? Haven't been in a couple years but it was more like $1200 to $1600 then.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Hundreds?
    ISWYDT

When I used to mate, on rough days we'd make wagers on who would be the first to toss chunks. It's almost always the over thinkers and braggarts. Sea sickness is in your head. If you talk about it, think about it, or worry about it secretly...guess what?
    Last edited by BigBrother; 05-11-2023 at 02:30 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Another beer and sammich?

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    That's actually pretty funny, even coming from you.

Did a surface transit on a sub through the NE quadrant of hurricane Bob in 1991. Shit was rough. 9 hours of rough. 52° roll was the biggest we took. Did not puke.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Amazing how much more fun fishing is also....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I get sick off an on pretty much every time I go out... A good puke, a beer, and I'm ready to go. I've just come to the conclusion that its going to happen, I let it happen, and I don't let it slow me down. I've puked in the Pacific, Atlantic, and Caribbean Sea. I figure some folks would give their right arm to puke in the places I've seen.

I find it worse on sportys than a CC. If have to ride backwards and smell diesel fuel all day I'm gonna puke at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    When it stops being fun I’ll find something else to do, really enjoyed inshore fishing with the kids a lot the last few summers on the days we didn’t go offshore, it’s nice not being dog tired when you get home and having to clean 60ft of boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Did a surface transit on a sub through the NE quadrant of hurricane Bob in 1991. Shit was rough. 9 hours of rough. 52° roll was the biggest we took. Did not puke.
    Certainly not fun.
    For folks not in the know:
    A hurricane isn't nice to surface ships, usually avoidance is practiced.
    It's worse so to those vessels designed to be under water & the "NE quad." of the Wx system is the meanest.

I've seen mess deck chairs someone forgot to secure sticking in thin sheet steel bulkheads after watch.