Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear Infection

Default Ear Infection

My dog has one ear that has a lot more wax than the other and it has an odor.

I've cleaned it really well with ear cleaning solution from the pet store.

Is this something that with some cleaning over the next couple days will go away or does it need to be addressed by a vet?

Never dealt with an ear infection so don't know the severity.

Take 'er in.

Get the right tool for the right job after a diagnosis.

Could be yeast. Could be bacteria. Could be both. Won't know until you get a cytology done.

Send me $40
    Last edited by Glenn; 03-06-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Take her in like the good Doctor says. If the dog can't hear and can't see they can't do their job.
    HRCH Ogeechee River's Spur of The Moment MH
    Coastline's Seal The Deal

Gunners Up Winger - Dealer for Georgia and South Carolina

I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there. - Rev. Billy Graham

Will do.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Send me $40

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

My cocker used have problems with Yeast in the ears. It stinks sooo bad, it would knock a buzzard off a gut-pile & takes a Rx from vet to clear-up.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Vikki View Post
    My cocker used have problems with Yeast in the ears. It stinks sooo bad, it would knock a buzzard off a gut-pile & takes a Rx from vet to clear-up.
    thats what we're dealing with.. ill take her to vet today

Glenn, I grew up with Springers. I was always told to keep that curly hair in the ears trimmed back and we never had any real bad problems. Does that help prevent the ear infections and other ear problems on the shaggy-haired breeds?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

take him in the back entrance.... don't put him through the shame of all of the other animals laughing at him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    take him in the back entrance.... don't put him through the shame of all of the other animals laughing at him.
    How you gonna say that?

and yes, 90% of the time, she lays down to eat and drink.
    Last edited by cudexter; 03-06-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Glenn, I grew up with Springers. I was always told to keep that curly hair in the ears trimmed back and we never had any real bad problems. Does that help prevent the ear infections and other ear problems on the shaggy-haired breeds?
    The more air flow you can get in there the better. Tough to do with hair pendulous ears. Trimming all that hair out helps though.

Pour diluted peroxide in their ears?

Heeeeyull no.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    Pour diluted peroxide in their ears?

Burnt motor oil after rubing the outside with yeller onion juice. Have you learned nothing from this forum??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Take her to the Vet....then get some pink ribbons and tie the ears back... Feetdown can show you how...
    "I never met a dog I didn't like" ..slightly twisted words by Will Rogers

"When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog, point the finger at yourself"
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by HRC Dogs View Post
    Take her to the Vet....then get some pink ribbons and tie the ears back... Feetdown can show you how...
    DAMN!!! Where is the smiley for "horse laughing so hard I spit Coke on the computer and pee'd on myself"?

Standard treatment is to stop yeller onion, but continue burnt motor oil. Pour directly into ear canal, then wrap with paper towels to absorb any oozing. Also spray affected area with Fabreeze to control odor.
    Last edited by birdboy; 03-06-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

basset just had to go in for an ear infection.

Cephalexin antibiotic for 24 days and ear drops 2x day for 10 days.

Smelled like wet gym socks.

Take um in
    Friend has a Bull Mastiff / Lab cross that has been having ear infections on and off since last summer. A few weeks ago found him under the shrubs having a siezure and locked up. After several days at vet he was able to get back on his feet. Still screwed up ---- acts like a old guy that had a stroke --- but can move on his own now.
    Vet said it was from the ear infection.

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post
    thats what we're dealing with.. ill take her to vet today
    Make sure the Doc shows you how to hold the ear & massage to get meds really into the ear canal.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Just finished repairing a nice aural hematoma as the result of an untreated/home remedied ear infection.