Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Septic tank pump out question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Septic tank pump out question

The wife and I are having a disagreement on whether our septic tank needs to be pumped. The house was built in 92, we have lived here since 02. The house is roughly 3800 square feet and it is just the two of us here. Our grey water does NOT go into the septic tank. We have not pumped it since we moved here and I contend with just the two of us there is not a need, she is being a dang woman and disagreeing. Who is right??
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

If your toilets are flushing your shit why worry about it

My guess, and I'm no authority on septic tanks, is that if you have an adequate sized tank, you may never have to pump it if it keeps working like it is supposed to. Having detergents and cleaners, like Clorox, go into it might keep it from working correctly.

It will let you know when to pump it out. Leave it be.

Let her win... Go buy a new gun.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

You would know if it needed pumping. Does it have some solids in it? Sure but you are fun if everything is functioning
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

You're good. You win.

Just the two of you you should be fine. Where you running that grey water? My dad same the same setup but he has had some trouble recently

Pump it! it is insurance.

Get the solids out.
    Last edited by deerhunter; 07-27-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: More info

All shitters etc. are working just fine. We run the grey water out of a pipe to the far side of the house into the woods.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Your solids with 2 people there should be minimal. Most tanks will start gurgling when they are full of solids and the water is forcing into the tank. Should give you a week or more warning. Don't pump it until then and save the 325. I have lived in my home since 99 and have never had mine pumped. Daughter is 15 son is 12.
    Gun control means using both hands!<br />They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hand.

Get it pumped! As a family that has been in the septic tank business for over 30 years I am telling you to do it. It may be working fine but trust me, getting the solids out will save you major money. Everyone assumes it is working if it is flushing. That isn't the case. Only problems will come from waiting, including ruined drained lines and a lot of money. It is recommended they are cleaned every 4-5 years. The people that wait only regret it later. I will PM you my number to call if you want ore explanation and details as to why you need to do it.
    HRCH Werts's Rusty Explorer "Drake" MH

Roots will get the drain field's before yall need it pumped. Trust Me.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

This is all very confusing...

I'm in the plumbing industry and I say he's good.

Drake is in the septic business, and he says pump it.

Mmmmm. Looks like you're gonna have to figure this out on your own. Of course, you could heed camo's advice and let her win and go get a new gun.
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 07-27-2014 at 09:19 PM.

I like the idea of a new gun! But, I don't like the thought of having to redo a drain field. Hmmm....might just have to bite the bullet and do some preventative maintenance. I guess it won't hurt anything to do so.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Mine is working fine but I'm going to have it pumped soon. The $200-300 is worth 10 years of peace of mind to me. Kinda like a termite bond.

You're good - you can give me $100 to write you a letter stating such that you can give her. Of course, if I was in the septic tank pumping bidness, I'd tell you otherwise. Adequately sized septic systems require very little maintenance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

You are not alone in your questioning. People assume "out of sight, out of mind" until they call at 8pm on a Saturday when everything in their house is being backed up with sewage. It may seem as if a septic tank is operating 100% for many many years. However, what I can tell you is that if it is not maintained it is a ticking time bomb that will cost thousands to repair/replace. When a 1000 gal tank is not pumped for an extended time period it will eventually fill with solids only and stop working under normal conditions. When that happens the solids start being pushed into the drain field and filling the drain lines. When that happens, your only option is to completely start over with new drain field. It is like changing the oil in your car. Simple to do on a regular basis and it isn't expensive to avoid a major problem. People in the city pay $30 for sewage per month. That's $360 per year for sewage. A septic pumping and clean out will cost you less than $225 every five years. Why not play it safe?
    HRCH Werts's Rusty Explorer "Drake" MH

Well if you weren't so full of shit they probably wouldn't need pumping but since we all know that you are then they probably do.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I do shit a lot Squatty, the turds look a lot like you come to think of it.
    12-26-98 12-1-13