Thread: Puppy eating habits

So how's your pup doing now?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    So how's your pup doing now?

She's doing good I guess I wasn't using enough water. I put in enough to float it and she doesn't puke. So now when it's feeding time I call it her cereal.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    She's doing good I guess I wasn't using enough water. I put in enough to float it and she doesn't puke. So now when it's feeding time I call it her cereal.
    That's great to hear. If nothing else, you may have broken the cycle enough to establish her new eating routine.

Good luck.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    That's great to hear. If nothing else, you may have broken the cycle enough to establish her new eating routine.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Might be late to the thread but i have a year and a half old chocolate lab that eats really fast. what i do is put his food on a cookie sheet with a lip around it and spread it out, then put 5-6 softballs on top of the food and let him heat. He is constantly pushing the balls around to get to the food and that has slowed him down. Might be another option to take a look at. I know i personally hate wet soggy dog food.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    Might be late to the thread but i have a year and a half old chocolate lab that eats really fast. what i do is put his food on a cookie sheet with a lip around it and spread it out, then put 5-6 softballs on top of the food and let him heat. He is constantly pushing the balls around to get to the food and that has slowed him down. Might be another option to take a look at. I know i personally hate wet soggy dog food.
    Ive never tried it.

But i dont think the dog cares one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    The "hidden" advantage to 'wet, soggy, dog food' is that most dogs drink a bit of water right after eating. So what do you think happens to that 'dry' dog food in his stomach? It soaks it up and swells up. In the cases where the dog drinks too much because he 'thinks' he's still hungry, that food just swells more and he 'tosses his cookies' back up.

Soak it ahead of time and your pup will 'think' he ate more than he really did, plus it won't swell up in his stomach because it was water-soaked when he ate it.

I'm not a Vet so that's obviously a layman's description, but basically what several Vets have told us over the past four decades and numerous dogs. Take it for what it's worth.
    ~ George Washington