Thread: Black Bellied Whistlers

Default Black Bellied Whistlers

We have at least a hundred total in two different ponds. They're mighty dumb. Anybody kill any or have experience with them? We've killed them in MX and Argentina and they sure would be fun to kill here.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

They are cool birds.

I've killed a few, not in SC.

Dumber than rocks.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

You're right they're not the brightest duck in the world but they are fun to shoot, eat good and they're whistling is cool to hear!

Put up some wood duck boxes and they'll fill 'em up and you'll (we'll) have even more!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Sauté pan, dash of EVOO, pinch of salt, to mid rare. Awesome.

I could load the boat with em at STA 1. They were typically 40 to 50 yards high on the way to the rice fields so it was fun shootin. On the way back their craws were full, so they were low and slow. If you hadn't filled your limit by then, you could always fill it on the return.

Fun to shoot but damn they fly off the roost early
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    They were typically 40 to 50 yards high on the way to the rice fields so it was fun shootin..

Skybuster
    80-20 Genaration

They are an odd bird , beautiful in their own way.
    Genesis 9;2

Very neat birds indeed. Love to hear them. Their range is slowly but steadily expanding. A good friend of mine is seeing more and more in NW Florida every year, not to mention all their population growth here in SC. It's a good thing you can only shoot one a day in SC for now.

Caught these two a few weeks ago there were about 10-15 that jumped up when they saw the truck but these two stayed long enough for a picture or two....

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Great picture homeboy.
    Genesis 9;2

When I take friends hunting down here that have never been before, BBWD are commonly the first thing we target. They are a cool bird that I love to watch and hear fly in and out of roost, but pretty far down on the sporting chain.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Saw one of my nesting pairs on Friday, Hampton County.... Probably the 4th year I've had em.
    They're gone come duck season though!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Dumb as a box o rocks!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

50 confirmed dead.

Go ahead and post a pic Stric

Had about 300+ on a pond late here one afternoon and we showed up the next morning to shoot and didn't see a single one!
    If You Bait them They Will Come!

Wouldn't waste the shell....

Still public water in sc where you could fill a boat with these things if you have some sense.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Still public water in sc where you could fill a boat with these things if you have some sense.

That rules out about 75% of the public hunting population...I think the BBWD are safe haha
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.