Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk hunts

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Good luck, I just had to cancel mine, but set up for 2016.
    Thanks! I am really looking forward to it. I've got the 700 at the gunsmith right now being accurized and I can't wait to start working up an elk load as soon as it comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcdp View Post
    Thanks! I am really looking forward to it. I've got the 700 at the gunsmith right now being accurized and I can't wait to start working up an elk load as soon as it comes back.
    Did you get first week of rifle season? Outfitter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

If you want to go with an outfitter in NM, I can recommend one who does very well in the Gila Nat'l Forest I have been with a few times. He will put you in the middle of them for sure. Also does antelope and some other stuff as well. I would recommend an outfitter for your first hunt to get the feel of it, not that I am an expert by any means. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by 4THEGIRLS; 02-10-2015 at 08:50 PM.

1. If you are not already, get your ass in shape. Good shape. REALLY good shape. Out west the mountains are high and the air is thin. You WILL suck wind the first few days.

2. Sharpen knives & Make sure that you know how to bone-out an elk. Bone is heavy and you don't want to carry more weight than you have to, especially if you are packing out your own meat and don't have a horse.

3. Have very good quality binoculars with a harness. Minimum 9X x40 . If you can't see 'em to find 'em you can't get close enough to shoot 'em.

4. Waterproof boots. Two pairs. One will get wet.

5. Get a good, comfortable, and sturdy day pack.

6. Layer clothing. Temperature swings can be dramatic.

7. Know how to start a fire in the wet, and wind and cold. Just in case.

8. Never, ever try to chase or "catch-up" with an elk. You can't.

9. It's much farther to that next ridge than you think and it will take a lot longer to get there than you think.

10. Drink lots of water when walking.

11. Most importantly: Take some flushable moist wipes and toilet paper with you every day in your day pack. Trust me.

Did you get first week of rifle season? Outfitter?
    We're booked for Nov 7th-13th with Wayne Hill Outfitting.

This is our first go round with this, but we called their references so hopefully it'll work out well. My father and I are both more interested in the experience than in trophy racks so needless to say it isn't going to take a helluva for us to be pleased with the hunt.

Some good info here, especially about the wet wipes. Give me a call and I can tell you what little bit I've learned. I would definitely suggest NM if you're willing to pay.

And yes, we have Ríos along the eastern part of the state in some of the river drainages. Most of all of them are on private land though.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

We're booked for Nov 7th-13th with Wayne Hill Outfitting.

This is our first go round with this, but we called their references so hopefully it'll work out well. My father and I are both more interested in the experience than in trophy racks so needless to say it isn't going to take a helluva for us to be pleased with the hunt.
    My guide last year was from that area they hunt, very good hunting they say, and way less pressure than the rest of the state.

If you're on horse....
    Do not use the bino harness, take the strap it came with, hang it over left shoulder, binos on right side. It will keep you from banging your binos up.
    Also if on a horse, find someone's you can ride before you go, your ass will thank you.
    Take immodium in your pack, not only for you, but your guide. Nothing worst than having to stop every 30 minutes when on elk because he ate something bad.
    Take a pack you can strap coats, etc to, you will put on/take off layers all day long.
    Boots, good boots. I bought a pair of elk trackers for my archery hunt this past September. Couldn't of been happier with them. By day 4, the only thing that didn't hurt at the end of the day was my feet.
    Last edited by buckpro; 02-12-2015 at 10:21 AM.
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

My guide last year was from that area they hunt, very good hunting they say, and way less pressure than the rest of the state.

If you're on horse....
    Do not use the bino harness, take the strap it came with, hang it over left shoulder, binos on right side. It will keep you from banging your binos up.
    Also if on a horse, find someone's you can ride before you go, your ass will thank you.
    Take immodium in your pack, not only for you, but your guide. Nothing worst than having to stop every 30 minutes when on elk because he ate something bad.
    Take a pack you can strap coats, etc to, you will put on/take off layers all day long.
    Boots, good boots. I bought a pair of elk trackers for my archery hunt this past September. Couldn't of been happier with them. By day 4, the only thing that didn't hurt at the end of the day was my feet.
    That is great advice! Thank you. I was planning to hunt out of a pair of Asolos that I've hiked the Appalachian Trail in, but I may need to look at something else. Is Elk Trackers the brand?

For boots, I would highly recommend some Merrell's. I had a pair in idaho that were ankle high lace up and completely waterproof, like crossing stream waterproof. Very comfortable and very stable. I hiked 9 miles into the tetons with them over trails, streams, snow and rock and felt fine.

Just another option for anyone interested.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

If you're on horse....
    Get you one of these...100x's better than those chest strap harnesses.

https://hornhunterpacks.com/product/...tem-camo-only/

http://fhfgear.com/hunting/bino-harness/

http://alaskaguidecreations.com/binopack.htm

No bouncing around, keeps dust off your binos, just a lot better than anything else.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

That is great advice! Thank you. I was planning to hunt out of a pair of Asolos that I've hiked the Appalachian Trail in, but I may need to look at something else. Is Elk Trackers the brand?
    Those Asolos will be fine, and they're already broken in.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Those Asolos will be fine, and they're already broken in.
    Thanks for the input. That'll save me a little jack that I can spend on some better hunting clothes.

....and do the elk a favor by shooting any wolves you see!!

Thanks for the input. That'll save me a little jack that I can spend on some better hunting clothes.
    Yep, you'll be fine with those boots.

and IMO you don't need to go spend a ton of money on the latest Sitka gear etc. yeah its nice, but I hunted in the same pair of carharts and cabelas/timberrattler button up shirt the entire trip. (Your weather will be a lot different though.) What is important is your base layer. Exoficial was what I had, stuff is awesome.

Yep, you'll be fine with those boots.

and IMO you don't need to go spend a ton of money on the latest Sitka gear etc. yeah its nice, but I hunted in the same pair of carharts and cabelas/timberrattler button up shirt the entire trip. (Your weather will be a lot different though.) What is important is your base layer. Exoficial was what I had, stuff is awesome.
    I own a few pieces of Ex Officio gear, and you're right it is good stuff. I bought a pair of water resistant UA pants that were on a good sale at Gander Mountain and I will probably add another pair depending on how they hold up during turkey season.

I like lots of thin layers instead of wearing bulky layers, so I'm currently trying to figure out what my jacket/shell will be. I looked at Sitka, but I just don't care to spend that kind of money on it. I just need a good breathable shell. I've got plenty of rag wool sweaters and chamois shirts that have done the trick for years to layer underneath a decent shell.

Just checked and got me an archery bull tag in Kentucky.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I killed a huge 6 by 6 in Wyo in 2005. I think chasing them out west is an awsome experience when you factor in the scenery etc. However I was rifle hunting....shooting a horse at 200yrds with a 300 mag was kinda anti climatic and a let down.

Now bow hunting them is now back on the bucket list.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Just checked and got me an archery bull tag in Kentucky.
    That is awesome!! Getting a Kentucky tag is akin to hitting the lottery right? We put in a few times over the years but never got drawn.

We did receive our combo Elk/Muley tags for Montana a few weeks back. I can't wait to hunt with my dad for a week out there.

When are you hunting?

Havent gotten that far yet as to when I'm hunting but Im jacked up like a $5 crack whore with $100 in her pocket.

Total Individual Applicants: 34,001
    In State Applicants: 21,717
    Out of State Applicants: 12,284

Total 2015 Elk Tags: 910
    In State: 819
    Out of State: 91

Total Applications: 70,348
    In State Applications: 45,156
    Out of State Applications: 25,192

Time to start doing my research and homework to find out what area is sucessful and when a good time to go is.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I've always wanted to do this hunt.

http://myfwc.com/license/limited-ent...t-sambar-deer/