Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decoy opinions

Default Decoy opinions

I am looking at buying a few Magnum decoys for the spread this year. What brand do you guys like for divers? Durability is probably my main concern, but definitely want a Decoy that is realistic. G&h and GHG are about the only ones I'm familiar with.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Higdon foam filled are priced low. Anyone have experience with them? Foam would be good for low birds and stray pellets.

I have around 15 - 20 dozen GHG decoys of various species.

I have put about 4 dozen mallards through the ringer the last three years. Only issues are from decoys that took a few pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    Higdon foam filled are priced low. Anyone have experience with them? Foam would be good for low birds and stray pellets.
    I have a dozen foam filled ringos and a dozen foam filled bluebills. The ringos are small but work fine, the bluebills are great. Good decoys for low cost that can take steel and still float fine
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Avian X. Close thread

GHG has always amazed me how different quality can be from box to box. I will say that the oversized are definitely better quality.

I have looked at Avian. My only complaint is there are no blue bills. Unless I have just flat missed them. I'd love to be wrong.

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    They are small, and the keel is too small to wrap a strap weight around. They'd be fine for a long line.

Yeah. Definitely want something with some size. I have PLENTY of standard size decoys. Looking to carry less with the same visibility. I hunted next to guy last year that flat out made me a believer.

Homer decoys
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Yeah. Definitely want something with some size. I have PLENTY of standard size decoys. Looking to carry less with the same visibility. I
    hunted next to guy last year that flat out made me a believer.
    Or maybe he was just on the "X"?

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    Homer decoys

This. Restle coat them and paint them. I just finished a dozen and got three more in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfowler View Post
    Or maybe he was just on the "X"?

The day before the birds were exactly where I was setup. I have killed a bunch of birds on the exact spot. I Changed my spread 4 times as ol boy continued to kill. I finally got frustrated and peaked at his setup with binoculars from the boat. I was plenty far from him and I could easily see his spread. I had 3 times the decoys and I couldn't see mine. It got my wheels turning. I bought 2 dozen magnums and my season definitely started getting better.
    Last edited by JBK; 06-27-2016 at 07:28 PM.

All my divers are old mallards that got hit with some spray paint. If you shoot them, or beat them up they are easy to repaint or replace. Old hot buys are about my favorite to repaint.
    With divers I've found its about having the right spread size and not decoy size.

The day before the birds were exactly where I was setup. I have killed a bunch of birds on the exact spot. I Changed my spread 4 times as ol boy continued to kill. I finally got frustrated and peaked at his setup with binoculars from the boat. I was plenty far from him and I could easily see his spread. I had 3 times the decoys and I couldn't see mine. It got my wheels turning. I bought 2 dozen magnums and my season definitely started getting better.
    I was just giving you a hard time. Mags are always good.

If you want size Flambeau master series extreme. 26 inch decoy that'll bring in the birds.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    All my divers are old mallards that got hit with some spray paint. If you shoot them, or beat them up they are easy to repaint or replace. Old hot buys are about my favorite to repaint.
    With divers I've found its about having the right spread size and not decoy size.
    It's funny how opinions differ on decoys. I know guys who completely disagree with your last statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfowler View Post
    I was just giving you a hard time. Mags are always good.
    All good. Good is an understatement

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoorsLight View Post
    If you want size Flambeau master series extreme. 26 inch decoy that'll bring in the birds.
    I might end up getting a few super mags to try out.

It's funny how opinions differ on decoys. I know guys who completely disagree with your last statement.
    I think its the white sides that catches their eye more than the size. I could be completely wrong though as I haven't hunted much with magnum decoys. Usually it's not how many divers to put out but how many coots to pair them with.

I take swan decoys and paint them like divers.