Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Dog hunters are gonna love this.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    PJ...........

give it a rest.
    Ain't much Insurance gettin' sold today!

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    yew wanna bye sum?
    Im already worth way more dead than alive so Im good......

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Im already worth way more dead than alive so Im good......
    That is what happens when you're friends with Farm Bureau agents hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Ain't much Insurance gettin' sold today!

Apparently neither is fertilizer or seed!

porkchop the dog was shot on a tract of land that is leased to a club. club member(s) shot the dogs. The land owner is pissed. And so are the surrounding land owners. The first one we thought maybe it was a fluke but when I got the second one back shot up we informed all the land owners. Three tracts of land comprise the block of woods. One of the three tracts is leased to a tree club. The deer ran the branch that flows through the farm as well as said preppy boy tree club and eventually makes its way to the river. I was on foot, not in a truck, as most likely imagine. The roads were under water for the most part. Miles to go before we got to a property line. Not wanting to get shot I did not go to the property line on the dirt road as there was supposed to be someone just inside the access gate. When I realized no one was there and that my dogs had made it across the dirt road I walked to where they crossed the road and started trying to contact land owners. A little time passed and it started to get closer to dark so I called dnr to get their advice. I got the weinee dog and a beagle back at that time. One beagle was still out. Shortly after the sun come up the next morning I returned again and got permission to go in and get my one last dog. This one I had to walk all the way to. I figured he was dead after blacky had been shot. Curled up, hurt and scared I found my last beagle shot up with more holes in him than blacky but not as close to the spine as blackys. I toted him out. Seems I bonded with land owner that day and this incident wont be soon forgotten. It is a shame that some people are so greedy that they cant stand to see a dog do what it is driven to do by instinct bred into it since forever. There is no way i could call them off a hot deer if i wanted to. They are consumed with the desire to pursue game. To each his own, I am just glad that I do not have to depend on hiding in a tree to see a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleWoman View Post
    There is no way i could call them off a hot deer if i wanted to.
    BULLSHIT!
    You simply lack the and training knowledge to do so!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

This thread has got side tracked with the shooting a dog argument. The discussion was about the events that lead to a dog in a position to get shot.

With the advent of GPS and E-collars there is no excuse in these problems even arising in the first place!
    Either run your dogs inside a fence, or have a really great community understanding and cooperation if not inside a fence.
    Furthermore, use today's technology to everyone's advantage and train your dog instead of just letting him "do what his instincts lead him to do Bo" and this discussion becomes a moot point all together!
    If you can't afford the technology then you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
    Wingshooters among others have no problem getting the message across to their "trained" dogs who is in control and when the whistle blows or the e-collar beeps it means fuckin' STOP!
    But "some" of you deer hound people just don't get it!
    I watched a pack of beagles stop on a dime after Christmas because they had actually been trained, either tune in or drop out!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 02-05-2016 at 01:37 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    Yep you're one of the dumbasses that would pull the trigger on a dog! That answered that question for me as you constantly defend the man that is about 50% at fault here if not more....... As I said before I do not own a deer dog and never will. There is way to much aggravation (mainly dealing with dumbasses that shoot dogs) and frankly still hunting is better to me. That being said, if I did have one and some dumbass shot one of mine, there would be hell to pay and his pocketbook would regret the day he ever pulled that trigger. Its uncalled for and unacceptable. A dog is going to leave drives and get off properties from time to time. Its going to happen no matter how much you plan and try to prevent it. Its inevitable eventually. Just curious though, what part of the state do you hunt in and have you ever dog hunted?
    I returned over 15 different deer dogs on one block this year I hunt. You don't know shit about me. And yes it would have been much easier and satisfying just to shoot the mangy unfeed dogs but that's not my style. I prefer to tell them how much I appreciate their courtesy when I'm returning them

I'm not sure what folks do in a tree club, watch trees?

But for your dog to be shot up with so many holes it would lead me to believe it was a fellow dog hunter not a still hunter who shot your dog.

Multiple small shot wound patterns are characteristic of a shot gun not a center fired cartridge.

Could a beagle survive a hunting style round wound? Sure. Could it survive multiple shots? It's possible, but I doubt it.

Next we are faced with asking the question why would a still hunter be hunting with a shotgun?

A easier question could be did one of your fellow hunters accidentally mistake your hound for a deer and shoot it?

Just for clarification most don't have a problem with the dog hunting thats bred to do that. The problem comes in when you allow your property to run all over another persons property. It has nothing to do with greed it has to do with personal property rights!

Would you be ok if I turned a few drug dogs loose and let them rummage through your house uninvited? No! But they were doing what they were bred to do!!! Some people like those who like to watch trees feel the same way about their tree forest as you do about your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I'm not sure what folks do in a tree club, watch trees?

But for your dog to be shot up with so many holes it would lead me to believe it was a fellow dog hunter not a still hunter who shot your dog.

Multiple small shot wound patterns are characteristic of a shot gun not a center fired cartridge.

Could a beagle survive a hunting style round wound? Sure. Could it survive multiple shots? It's possible, but I doubt it.

Next we are faced with asking the question why would a still hunter be hunting with a shotgun?

A easier question could be did one of your fellow hunters accidentally mistake your hound for a deer and shoot it?

Just for clarification most don't have a problem with the dog hunting thats bred to do that. The problem comes in when you allow your property to run all over another persons property. It has nothing to do with greed it has to do with personal property rights!

Would you be ok if I turned a few drug dogs loose and let them rummage through your house uninvited? No! But they were doing what they were bred to do!!! Some people like those who like to watch trees feel the same way about their tree forest as you do about your house.

With all that out the wahahasy, I can tell you that I pondered all those theories. The questions that hung with me most though are ones that you did not mention....

Why would a dog continue running one half to one mile after they had been shot?

If the dog was shot during our hunt by member of our hunting party, and it did continue traveling a mile before quitting, then whey in the hell didn't they come on back home instead of waiting on me to come get them???

And..... Who said small shot pattern?

(My explanation to this is that quite possibly they were shooting ducks/rabbits earlier)

More holes lead one to come to the conclusion it is a shot pattern not a modern hunting round delivering more ft lbs of tq than a f350 running 70mph. With a small target like a 20-50 lbs dog not much there to absorb all the energy and now you have huge gapping holes.

As to why did the dog keep running?

Fight or flight.

Flight took over it left after being shot! Adrenaline pumping shot not much to run that distance.

How far have you ever trailed a deer?

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleWoman View Post
    With all that out the wahahasy, I can tell you that I pondered all those theories. The questions that hung with me most though are ones that you did not mention....

Why would a dog continue running one half to one mile after they had been shot?

If the dog was shot during our hunt by member of our hunting party, and it did continue traveling a mile before quitting, then whey in the hell didn't they come on back home instead of waiting on me to come get them???

And..... Who said small shot pattern?

(My explanation to this is that quite possibly they were shooting ducks/rabbits earlier)
    The bigger question is, if you love your dogs so then why not properly train them and do all humanly possible to maintain control of the situation and command your dogs to return to you keeping them out of harms way!

Zero accountability?