Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Keys...Questions

I'm locked into Key Colony The second week of August. Eff mini season. I dont need to go making some florida yankee into a chum ball.

Driving through the night, is kinda my style.

Have gotten some good info. Lobster is no longer a concern.

Bait is a concern. I have a 30 gallon raw water livewell. How much into bait will I be from the bait shops? Been told to leave my cast nets at home. Jig up greenies? What about tackle? Lots of terminal stuff, sure. What's outrageous there, that I can bring fairly cheap from here.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Should be able to fill the boat with yellowtail.

Went last August, stayed on gulf side of Marathon, yellowtails were hard to come by, dolphin were not at 23 miles, ballyhoo. Saw some pnuts within sight of land.
    Low country redneck who moved north

If you can get your hands on a grinder I would grind some menhaden and freeze them into your own chum blocks. Also bring some frozen whole to cut for chum and bring your own ballyhoo if you plan to troll. That will save you a decent amount of money if you plan to yellowtail fish a lot. You will burn through a ton of ice. If you can fill a big coffin cooler to get you through the first few days it will help. We bring all of our meats to cook from home. Quality meat down there is expensive. Buy snacks, condiments, etc once you get there. Marathon has a Publix for groceries.

Also bring your flounder gigging lights and look into bully netting lobsters.

I'm diggin' this, but it'll be Summer 2017
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I will ride with ya
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

We stayed in Marathon for 2 weeks on the cheap by picking up a timeshare sub-lease. Nice place on the gulf side, with a dock.

If you try to go for mini season and drive in the daytime, hope ya like traffic

I don't recommend taking any food, we did, truck load, it aint that much different in Marathon.

Please share Lag wagon info on this sub lease!

I have trailered to florida dozens of time for bass tourneys- always made it there fine but never left there without losing a tire or bearing.

I stayed on Duck Key a few years ago and slayed the fish from a yak inshore- and smoked the sails on a charter out of Islamorada

Duck key was pretty laid back but close enough to marathon or isla if you wanted to go to either

Key Colony is a layed back place I would recomend eating at the sun set bar & grill at the start of 7 mile bridge

Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Dang dt. At first I thought that was a self portrait. Then, luckily I remembered there wasn't near enough glitter on those shorts for you to wear them.

(courtesy laugh)
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Said the Earnhard fan

I'm going to piggy back on this thread. I'm taking the family down to Hawk's Cay the third week of June. I'm bringing a kayak for me and the boy to tool around in and I'll probably do a day rental for a boat, but more to cruise around with the girls in tow, and maybe do a little fishing. I'm trying to figure out what my best bet is for a half day charter for myself and my 10 year old, as well as welcome any tips for kayak accessible opportunities around Duck Key. He would love the opportunity to try for dolphin/sails, etc, but I'm not looking to drop a grand on a charter. What kind of options are there for near shore/reef stuff.

You can rent a boat and catch all the dolphin you want on your own striper rods with a few lures and ballyhoo from any baitshop down there. It isnt remotely difficult and you dont need a bunch of offshore stuff or experience to follow a weedline and chunk cut bait to school dolphin.

The Keys are fairly dull without a boat. Nearly any size can take the inshore chop most days.

Everywhere has a learning curve. Get a guide doing what you want to learn and try it yourself.

Kayak Gulf side of grassy.

Yellowtail 75 to 100 ft on Atlantic. I can give you suggestions where.

The mangrove snapper in the canals are fun but smarter than you think. Fluorocarbon small hooks no weight.

You can always entertain a kid at 25 ft coral reefs on grunts. Cyber scout. Go to waypoints. let the wife drag you in the water with ski rope while you snorkel. Stop when you see fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boy View Post
    I'm going to piggy back on this thread. I'm taking the family down to Hawk's Cay the third week of June. I'm bringing a kayak for me and the boy to tool around in and I'll probably do a day rental for a boat, but more to cruise around with the girls in tow, and maybe do a little fishing. I'm trying to figure out what my best bet is for a half day charter for myself and my 10 year old, as well as welcome any tips for kayak accessible opportunities around Duck Key. He would love the opportunity to try for dolphin/sails, etc, but I'm not looking to drop a grand on a charter. What kind of options are there for near shore/reef stuff.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 04-30-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Yeah, I've fished for dolphin out of Marathon, but we were going out 60 miles to the Hump. Wasn't sure if there would be any chance of success closer in that time of year. I'd like to try for some yellow tail or grouper if possible, putting the kid on a sail would be awesome.

We'll probably spend the mornings dicking around close to the resort in the kayak and then set aside a day for more serious pursuits.