Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wifi repeater/extender

So just to be clear... you already have cat 5 ethernet cable run between the sites but it's not terminated or connected to devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock & Rye View Post
    So just to be clear... you already have cat 5 ethernet cable run between the sites but it's not terminated or connected to devices?
    No I have an empty conduit run between sites. No cat5 cable in the house no my knowledge and the modem is not near where I can run the wire out of the house and into the pipe. Going to look this weekend about running a wire in the attic. The joys of a slab built house.
    cut\'em

anyone that has a networking job (like me) will tell you that running cable sucks. wireless technologies keep improving. ethernet has it's place, but it's getting replaced by wifi in the corporate world really fast. turbo and reeltight may know a little about a lot of things, but burying cable in your backyard is pretty dumb for 100ft.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    anyone that has a networking job (like me) will tell you that running cable sucks. wireless technologies keep improving. ethernet has it's place, but it's getting replaced by wifi in the corporate world really fast. turbo and reeltight may know a little about a lot of things, but burying cable in your backyard is pretty dumb for 100ft.

Phillip, I may disagree with you on this one. If he is already running 3 machines, with the potential for who knows what going forward, why not run a cable, set a switch out there, and everything is hard wired. Yeah running cable sucks, but it's been putting food on my table for a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I have a big ol long ranch house. I moved my router and wifi that charter installed to one end of the house. Put a coax/ethernet combo jack in that room and jumped from the wifi to that jack. From that jack I fished a cat6 up the wall into the attic and across the house down to a storage room off the garage. From there I hooked up a Netgear Nighthawk wifi. I've got the basement appartment covered, the whole house, the shop (roughtly 75 feet away) and can get signal at our pavilion down by the creek 100+ yards away.

That nighthawk is a bad motor scooter.

Edit: I can fix a busted up knee on a dog like a mofo but don't know crap about IT stuff and I was able to do this with ease. We stream the foosball, movies and music in the shop on the reg now.
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-05-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    Yeah running cable sucks, but it's been putting food on my table for a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So did phones lines.. and they aren't necessary anymore. Same thing will happen with ethernet, within buildings, not transport.

The conduit might would change my mind. If it was my house, and could easily fish a new cable through, go for it. Running the line from the router wont be fun or pretty either. Ideally you would want to move the router to your com closet, but then you disrupt wifi for the rest of the house if it's not central.

I have a 3 story house and went through all this recently. I bought a nice router and was done with it. Generally the router built in to the cable modems are crap. Lost of different variables, but getting a nice dual band with good processing power helps a lot.
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 02-05-2016 at 10:23 AM.

This sucker right here is the cats behind...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC2350-Smart-Router/dp/B00MRVJY5C/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454684634&sr=1-4&keywords=netgear+nighthawk[/ame]

My wifi lights up on my phone when I turn onto my street.
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-05-2016 at 10:31 AM.

I don't have the tech specs on a 'cats behind', maybe a vet phrase? That is a good router Glenn

So I bought a NetGearEX6200 today at Office Max and it has drastically improved the wifi in my shed. The connection in here is very strong and the speed is just as fast as if I was plugged in to the modem directly. Plus set up was pretty much idiot proof which is saying something for technology idiot such as myself.
    cut\'em