Thread: Clearcutting bottomland?

Default Clearcutting bottomland?

Looking at this small tract off the river. Little over 16 acres
    Property is 350'x2100' and all old growth bottomland.
    It will occasionally flood when the river gets out its banks.
    Guy wants $2000/ac.

Kicking an idea around.. Sounds almost criminal to me to even contemplate.. But its surrounded by 1000s of acres public land that looks just like it so..

Assuming its dry enough to get in there, would clearcutting a property like that allow one to potentially break even on the purchase price (or real close)?

That does sound criminal, but, for the sake of discussion: I have seen estimates that the average timber value per acre is $1,600, but that it can obviously vary from a few hundred to $5,000. I'm pretty sure that the bottomland would be on the high side of $1,600, but 16 acres is pretty small to fetch top dollar, especially in the middle of other land. I don't think you'd lose much, but you'd have 16 acres of flooded clearcut.

In other words, you would have to have a professional assessment, but it doesn't strike me as appealing if it is "off the river".

Beware of a privette patch returning to the swamp cutover.

I would put it under contract with and inspection period and then bring a logger or forester out to get an estimate.

I should have said "on the river". 350' of river front. There is a ingress from the highway as well.

The biggest question is the value of the wood and if it is enough volume on the tract to move in a logger.

If this happens you better call me when the time comes to hunt this flooded cut down.

You seriously considering cutting old growth? Just damn!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Certainly not beyond it.

A pothole in a flooded clearcut down here is where its at. Marv knows whats up.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Depends on size and type of timber. Are we talking about 30 inch swamp oaks or 16 inch sweet gums?
    Carolina Counsel

Most loggers want big tracts to cut. There's a certain amount of costs for them to show up, set up, etc. For them to make any money, they probably have to charge a certain amount regardless of the size. That costs gets spread out out more the more acres you have. Bottom line, small tracts don't get as much interest from the loggers, so, the price tends to be higher to get it cut. CC's comment is dead about the type of timber. To be safe, get somebody you trust who knows how to value timber to give you an estimate. Thats the only way I'd even consider it.

Just from what I can see via GE.. We are talking about 5ac of old tupleo swamp and the balance likely in huge oaks.
    I've been in a lot of the public land around it and thats whats in there, I don't see any kind of timber break on GE.
    Need to go actually look at it as said.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 05-22-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Probably be hard to find someone to cut it especially if it's public land around it (no one to add acreage with the sale). If a third of it is tupelo/black gum it would most likely need to be shovel logged. Shovel crews typically would need more volume unless it's just jam up with 5+ loads to the acre. Never hurts to have someone look at it. Bottomland hwd can surprise you on how much volume is out there though. What part of the state?
    Law don't go round here Lawdog

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Depends on size and type of timber. Are we talking about 30 inch swamp oaks or 16 inch sweet gums?
    Go ahead and calculate in all the spraying or else you will have a grown up mess after cutting, month consisting of water moccasins, sweet gums and a river you can't get to through all the shit

All depends on the species of oak to which you refer. Look at the numbers if he wants 2k an acre at 16 acres , Personally I would just pay the 32k and cut a hole or two.

If your real savvy make the hole yourself buck the logs up and sell them to local mill. Any Cherrybarks/Reds/whites or Cypress with a straight run?

With a buddies flat bed and a few pieces of rented/borrowed equipment or a Draft horse or two you could be in business offsetting the cost without destroying what you have.
    Genesis 9;2

Walt, the oak market is hot right now and if it's stacked up with big, quality oak (the species doesn't much matter right now as long as it's not overcup) it might bring as much as $5K/AC.
    Don't worry about 16 acres not being enough volume to cut either....they'll still cut it and bring top dollar for a good oak tract.
    Also, this is assuming you have good access?
    This in Alabama?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Protip, pay a Forestry Consultant to do an inventory and appraisal of said timber!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Certified and registered foresters are worth the $. Whether you go straight to a mill, a consultant, or a procurement forester.... Be sure they are certified or registered.

And I have cut plenty of 14 hw tracts. It may stand 5 loads per acre, which most any low ground pressure or conventional crew will gladly cut.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

And I know a few folks out your way, too

If you need a few contacts, let me know
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!