Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you running

Default What are you running

Mud Motor or Outboard? And why

Seems like most public spots can use an outboard but I see a lot of yall having surface drives.
    Last edited by coasthuntr; 02-01-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Outboard, hunt rivers and lakes. If it gets too shallow I get out and push. Mud motors are slow, noisy, and have too many problems.

Couldnt have said it better Gone South! Unless you can afford both an outboard rig is the best option.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

2 outboards. I could use or wish I had a mud boat a few times a year. Not worth it for me.
    Last edited by JBK; 02-01-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Outboard

Go Devil 1660 with 35 Go Devil Surface Drive. 60 hours on motor, no problems. My brother has the same model motor with over 300 hours, no problems. Most mud motor problems come from clutches and mods; mine has neither.

kayak
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Nike Air's
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

A dolphin

Mud motor. Can hunt anywhere and outboard can and anywhere an outboard can't. Sorry but I'm not dragging or polling anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by onwaterillbe View Post
    Most mud motor problems come from clutches and mods; mine has neither.
    No most issues come from people being stupid with them and from shitty STOCK briggs valves.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Like I said before Griffin, if you can aford to have both then mud motors are fine. If you could only have one or the other then an outboard is the way to go in my opinion.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

250 HP Show.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If we are talking all around use then Having both is nice. If duck only, my vote goes MM as long as its driven respectfully. Just because it can go in somewhere doesn't mean it has to. MM's aint always slow either.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

For those that like the shallow stuff and don't do too much big water then Gator Trax just came out with a new boat for ya! It's only 14', 60" wide, has the hunt deck so overall length should be around 15'6", and can handle a 35hp. Looks sorta like a sink box due to the design of the shooter box. Pretty cool boat and supposedly runs 26mph with hunters, gear, and blind.

Depends on where you hunt obviously but i was mainly asking to see what's popular in this area.

I'm not cool enough to have a MM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I was fortunate enough to own a 1650 Gator Trax with hunt deck as well as a 1650 Xpress Hyperlift with 70hp Yamaha on it at the same time when I lived in New Orleans. They both had their uses but for day in and day out use I chose the Xpress most of the time. I don't hunt out of my boats and haven't for close to 20 years now. I choose to use a pirogue once I've gotten into the area I want to be in. I found that the low profile and small footprint of a pirogue allows me to kill more ducks and spend less time pulling and pushing the boat through the mud! There are very very very few places that you can hunt with a mud motor that I can't get into with an outboard powered tender boat and a pirogue!

Mud motor.

pirogues suck!!! No one ever needs to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Outboard, hunt rivers and lakes. If it gets too shallow I get out and push. Mud motors are slow, noisy, and have too many problems.
    What would u consider slow