Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home Defense - Bird Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Bird shot inside a typical bedroom or hallway will devastate tissue and the energy transfer will knock the lights out of your target. You put a load of 8's center mass at 20' and that dude ain't gonna make it.
    ya'll keep assuming the perp is wearing a tee shirt and also not wearing 6" of fat.
    you shoot your burglar with birdshot- i'll stick to what is proven to work.

NO BULLSHIT
    Last night at 0341 my burglar alarm went off- I jumped out of bed and straight into my home defense plan- no birdshot was involved, however- #4 buckshot was ready to go with a .357 as back up.
    thankfully- it was a false alarm- this time.

this stuff is not a you tube video of someone shooting a ham on a rope- it's your life and your family's life on the line.

I find it hard to believe that the same guys that need 3-3 1/2" nitro magnum shells to kill a 2 pound duck think that dove loads are adequate for home defense.

newtons laws of physics- for every action-there is an equal and opposite reaction
    that load of birdshot doesn't hit any harder than the gun kicks

Depends on your home's layout. Back in "the day", when I lived in a ranch style house, we were set up in a way where over-penetration of walls meant little, as we could "hold" the occupied part of the house and let the shotgun eat if need be. The load of choice was #4 Buck to 00B... #4B was plenty.

These days, with houses that have the master suite separated from, perhaps, the kids living areas, it's more problematic to have big shot passing through sheetrock. I would opt to a HEAVY birdshot... #4 at the smallest. It would be hard in this house to get more than a 20-30 foot shot. I've worked a shit ton of cases where people were killed DRT with birdshot.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    ya'll keep assuming the perp is wearing a tee shirt and also not wearing 6" of fat.
    you shoot your burglar with birdshot- i'll stick to what is proven to work.

NO BULLSHIT
    Last night at 0341 my burglar alarm went off- I jumped out of bed and straight into my home defense plan- no birdshot was involved, however- #4 buckshot was ready to go with a .357 as back up.
    thankfully- it was a false alarm- this time.

this stuff is not a you tube video of someone shooting a ham on a rope- it's your life and your family's life on the line.

I find it hard to believe that the same guys that need 3-3 1/2" nitro magnum shells to kill a 2 pound duck think that dove loads are adequate for home defense.
    Distance is the difference. If a criminal element is burglaring your house you aren't shooting at him in the atmosphere, he or she is in the room with you.

You don't need the reach a 3.5" wheel will give you.

For that matter if a horde of fergusonians infiltrate the house I want quantity over distance. 2.75" shells allow for the most in a tube or mag or drum.

If they keep moving you keep firing. When you run out of shells go ask if they are ok. If they are moving they are a threat. They already crossed any reasonable threshold of good housekeeping when they came in your house. They aren't there to sip tea or drink a pepsi with you.

Totally different rules than brandishing a cwp. They came to rob, steal, and destroy you and your household.

Your just helping them see the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I've worked a shit ton of cases where people were killed DRT with birdshot.
    Tells you all you need to know.

[QUOTE=Mergie Master;1862213]I read it. And yes I do think 8's would have stopped them at 30 feet a lot quicker than FMJs would even in a 30 caliber. They may not stop someone with body armor and a wide open choke. But with a tight choke and no body armor they would. Especially shots to the face or legs then the face would make them dead.

I've cut several turkey's head's off with #7 shot back when I reloaded and they made #7's. They were farther than 30' too. I also killed a fat doe once with one shot of #6 lead shot while duck hunting in GA. She was around the same distance away, bout 30'.

When I was about 12 yrs old a friend of mine's estranged dad got drunk and tried to break into their house with a gun after first cutting the phone lines. He was trying to get to his ex-wife, my friend's mom. My friend handed his mom his single shot .410 with a load of 6's in the pipe. She shot the guy in the shoulder through the screen door and the blast knocked him back onto the carport floor. The #6 almost cut his arm off. The docs couldn't save it and had to amputate at the shoulder.

Jimmy (quackhead11) knows my friend really well/QUOTE]

Yea I do, my whole damn family is crazy. Guess it's bred into me and comes naturally.

I am looking at the 12 gauge in my gun cabinet that uncle Calvin knocked his front 4 teeth out with.

I think that may have been on another occasion tho. My papa was just as crazy as the rest of em
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I'll stick to buckshot....but there is a reason I shit my waders when I hear a gun fall over in a duck pit. Bird shot will absolutely kill your ass at close range.

TSS for home defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by HartClemson99 View Post
    TSS for home defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    newtons laws of physics- for every action-there is an equal and opposite reaction
    that load of birdshot doesn't hit any harder than the gun kicks
    This principle applies to every round. What's your point?

[quote=quack head 11;1863619]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I read it. My friend handed his mom his single shot .410 with a load of 6's in the pipe. She shot the guy in the shoulder through the screen door and the blast knocked him back onto the carport floor.

my point is this is bullshit- a gun strong enough to blast someone backwards would do the same to the shooter- this ain't Hollywood. simple physics.

the guy may have FALLEN back onto the floor, but the gunshot sure didn't blast him backwards especially with a 410.

Depends on the distance and how the person is standing.

If you're standing on a top step with your hand on a door handle and get shot at close enough range the force is enough that more than likely you will lose balance and fall backwards.

Lets put it like this, I wouldn't want it happening to me.

Whenever I worked for SCDC my instructor told us they once used bird shot, but whenever they had to use it a few times all it took was the inmates to wrap up in a layer of cardboard and or a thick jacket to stop it. After that they switched to turkey loads for inside the fence. I use a youth model 20ga with #4 buck for the house.

"Inside the fence" could be fifty yards, buckwheat. We're talking about 15', like you know, inside your bedroom, across an average living room, etc.

And what's this business about blowing someone off their feet? When did Hollywood come into this discussion? You've stopped making sense. Your position is anchored in ignorance of how bird shot works at close range. It's a tight core of lead pellets moving at 1,200 plus feet per second. It cant be adequately slowed or stopped by a thief who still has mobility with a regular jacket, cardboard, or a fat ass inside of ten yards. It's going to seriously and negatively effect the area it impacts. A thief isn't coming in with body armor. And with just a hint of decent marksmanship, you could shoot him in the head or neck. That would end the discussion altogether.

But please, don't let me deter your anti-siege drills with an opinion on bird shot.

I think some empirical testing with ballistic gel and some barrier materials may be called for, just for fun.

When the DOC refers to going to turkey rounds over "birdshot", to me, BOTH are birdshot. Difference in size. Heavier shot, based on the mass and SD of the individual pellets, penetrates a bit deeper. At CQB distances against an unarmored individual, it's academic. Heavier shot or even light to 00B gets a nod at distances beyond about 7 yards. But my home's layout is such that I would not GET a shot beyond about that distance. Up real close, I've had any number of cases where the entry was a ragged hole (we call it a "rat hole"... not sure why), sometimes a few satellite entries from individual pellets. That close, it's also not uncommon for the wad column to be IN the wound as well.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen