Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimalism

Default Minimalism

Society keeps pushing us to have more, more doesn't improve my life or add value at this point.
    Has anyone here gotten fucking tired of it and moved towards a more minimalist lifestyle.

I have a lot on my plate, and I am tired of the pursuit of possessions that don't get used but on rare occasions that clutter what time I do have. It has been a hell of a sell to even take it in moderation as I still value my skiff, kayak, and some hunting gear and no desire to get rid of those items. The rest bring no value to my life besides the obvious items needed for everyday life.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 02-04-2016 at 10:45 PM.

I think about that often. I have a bunch of stuff and all it does is give me anxiety and discontentment when you think of storage, organization or lack there of, and ultimately how little time you have to use all the things you've accumulated. But It is hard to get out of that trap once you are in it.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

90% of the stuff I have is a tool and serves a purpose. Some if it is used often and some is like a fire extinguisher and is there should I ever need it.

Yep.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

In the last ten years or so, I have made a move in that direction. I have a kayak instead of a boat, motor and trailer and a bike and a game cart instead of a 4 wheeler. I usually duck hunt with 3 black duck decoys out of the kayak instead of fortyeleven decoys. I didn't buy any new turkey calls or chokes or different shells this year but am instead am going with the same old shit I used the last ten years that I know works.

I am pretty much killing just as much stuff with a heck of a lot less aggravation.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Nah. I'm accumulating. But mostly trading out crappy stuff for quality stuff as I'm able. I also like trying new stuff: new bows, different guns, quality hunt clothes. I'm not Sitka/Ceasar Geurini level, but under armour/beretta.

"The rest bring no value to my life"

"I have a bunch of stuff and all it does is give me anxiety and discontentment"

Send pics of unwanted stuff so pickup can be arranged.

My only rule is if it's in the way and it isn't used at least once a year, it gets sold or tossed.

My significant other on the other hand is the biggest fucking pack rat I've ever seen. How in the hell does one woman use a billion shades of finger nail polish or twenty different bottles of shampoo is beyond me.

I might not use it for 5 years but on that year 6, sure dont want to have to go buy it again!
    Low country redneck who moved north

Im this way with guns and hunting crap. I have it in case I may need it one day. I could sell 3/4 of the crap I have just as much fun. Personally though, I feel if you buy quality things, it is more of an investment. If times get bad, I can sell some stuff and make do. Until then I guess i'll trip over crap and get aggravated wheni don't have time to use things.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    90% of the stuff I have is a tool and serves a purpose. Some if it is used often and some is like a fire extinguisher and is there should I ever need it.
    What about your dream catcher?

I buy a bunch of shit with the free money I get from the government after I file my taxes each year. A big ass Yeti is on the list this year.

I am the world's worst pack rat. I keep stuff on the chance that I "might use it one day", which is, in the end, really crap.

A while back I took the step of looking into my gun safe and getting "real". If it wasn't getting used OR had no family sentimental value, it was liquidated. On the other hand, I am a pro at finding a "role" for something that I really don't need. Some of it is truly "fire extinguisher" stuff like Glenn mentioned, and I have no qualms about it. Some is just fluff. Most of this takes the form of guns and gun-related crap. Some is in the form of just.... crap. And the accumulation is truly getting in the way.

Some time in the next few months there will be a thinning of the overall herd.

REALLY, I could likely get by with three rifles, one shotgun, and one or two pistols.... (if competition wasn't in the picture)

Hah.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 02-04-2016 at 08:11 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

You should get a yeti and one of them tiny houses made out of a yeti.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

I accumulate a right fair amount of stuff that I don't need or use on a regular basis. I look at it more as an investment.

Once upon a time years back when I was between jobs I had to sell off a bunch of my stuff that I didn't use and the money came in good. So either way I will keep what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    In the last ten years or so, I have made a move in that direction. I have a kayak instead of a boat, motor and trailer and a bike and a game cart instead of a 4 wheeler. I usually duck hunt with 3 black duck decoys out of the kayak instead of fortyeleven decoys. I didn't buy any new turkey calls or chokes or different shells this year but am instead am going with the same old shit I used the last ten years that I know works.

I am pretty much killing just as much stuff with a heck of a lot less aggravation.
    I want to move in this direction. It's a smart move. I have found that the simpler I keep things, the more I can focus on the important things too. Family, friends, and enjoying time together and outside being the main things.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Simple is better. Remember that.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I think some of y'all are a little confused on the whole depreciable assets as investments thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    I think some of y'all are a little confused on the whole depreciable assets as investments thing.
    Freelz. I had to cock my head sideways and read that twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I need more stuff, I don't have near enough.I can never find the tool I need so I go buy another one.I should build another barn to fill up.I figger on having the rez's biggest "dead guy's shit auction" ever!
    If I was around for it I'd likely be the most successful bidder. I love stuff , I think I'm maximalistic.
    Last edited by HARV; 02-05-2016 at 04:45 PM.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.