Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 Deer Loads

Default .243 Deer Loads

What loads do you guys who shoot deer with .243's use?

Grains, bullet and brand, please. That is, commercial, off-the-shelf loads.

I've got a few hand-loaded 80 gr. TTSX loads I haven't had a chance to wring out yet, but will soon. (Will let you know how the look, Phone Man!)

Inasmuch as my Tikka .243 doesn't seem to handle the 100 gr. boat tail rounds, I'm planning on sticking to 95 grains or less... or might try a 100 gr. flat base bullet.

What I'm really curious about is what the successful commercial loads have been for everyone. I consider the .243 to be a "minimal" round for decent size deer (I know, they've killed a million of them with it), so want a round I can be very confident in.

Thanks.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-19-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

100gr. ProHunter and H4350
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Default .243 Deer Loads

I'm new to reloading,so I won't be able to give you the info most of these other guys can , but don't on without trying the Barnes TTSX bullets.......out of my .308 and now my 7mm-08 they have been devastating.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 09-19-2014 at 03:22 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Lapua brass
    80 grain Barnes TTSX
    H4350
    Muzzle velocity around 3400 fps

They work.

Dang, I wish I was set up to reload rifle loads, but I'm not. I still need to use commercial loads.
    ~ George Washington

Comercial loads i'd use would be the Federal premium with the Nosler partion. IF you can find the Corbon load with the TTSX id go that route
    Reloaders love a good piece of brass<br />Not only did Samuel colt make all men equal.....He also made it easier for me to sleep well at <br />night

I've heard some really good things about the Federal Fusions.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of how they work on animals, but they shoot lights out from my .243(older 700).
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Here's two at Academy that look promising...

BARNES® VOR-TX™ .243 Win 80-Grain Centerfire Rifle Ammunition

http://tinyurl.com/oemzukq

Federal Premium® Sierra® GameKing® .243 Winchester 85-Grain Rifle Ammunition

http://tinyurl.com/km4e6ae

What say ye?

quackaddict, yes, I've also heard some good things about the Fusions, but haven't shot any at a target or a deer.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-19-2014 at 04:47 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Barnes Vor-TX

Save your brass

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

quackaddict, yes, I've also heard some good things about the Fusions, but haven't shot any at a target or a deer
    I haven't read of anyone having any bullet issues with them anywhere...you should buy a box and try them out. The only thing that has shot better out of my rifle were some handloaded 58gr V-Max.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

90grn BTs will flat out kill the hell out of a deer.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

100 grain Remington corelokt. It aint rocket science. The only other one that I've used is the Hornady American whitetail in 100 grains. They both work.

Winchester CXP2 100gr. Power Points. Been shooting this load for going on 28 years in 4 different .243's. Best grouping factory round I've personally used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

I shoot the barnes now but used to shoot the 100 corelokt and never had a problem
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

speaking of 243's I really want a ruger number1-A or international in one
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

The CoreLokt bullet has always proven to be a solid choice, except I've not liked the rather large exit holes it's shown. I have a few boxes in various rounds, but use them as back-up loads.

I've used the Winchester Power Points in my 30-30 in the past and have done well. Just haven't used it in anything else for no particular reason. I think I've got some 30-06's downstairs. Don't recall how well they group.

Phone Man, have you shot any deer yet with those 80 gr. TTSX loads you made up? How'd they do?

dirtnap, the Hornady American whitetail rounds are made with the boat tail Interlock bullet, which is apparently a longer bullet and my .243 doesn't group them well, which is why I sold all of those 100 gr. Federal Sierra Game King's.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    The CoreLokt bullet has always proven to be a solid choice, except I've not liked the rather large exit holes it's shown.
    What??

yes I did. high shoulder bout 90yds. dropped in tracks. Complete pass through. Hole about size of thumb on exit

95 grain winchester ballistic silver tips. Never had a deer run with them.

I've heard good things about those 95 silvertips, im gonna load me up some
    Last edited by Phone Man; 09-20-2014 at 08:32 PM.