Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Dumb" Welding Question

Default "Dumb" Welding Question

This would be a torch, bud.

Or call it a mig gun I guess
    Last edited by Gone South; 10-28-2014 at 07:39 PM.

That would be a Mig gun. A torch is Rad talk for Tig welding.

You weld Steelin? BAAAAAAWWAAAA. Just kiddin. I need a utility trailer for my mower's.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    You weld Steelin? BAAAAAAWWAAAA. Just kiddin. I need a utility trailer for my mower's.
    Nutz sells them all day long.

Not lookin for new.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Dude, current goes from your torch to the welding area straight to the ground. If you have a poor conection or ground, you just ain't gonna make any contact. If the ground falls off then the circuit "opens" and the arc just stops. It ain't rocket science much less science at all.

And bearings?
    You're right... unless by chance you 'accidentally' have a secondary ground you might not be aware of, such as having the implement setting down on wet ground, or having a metal object leaning from the 'damp/wet' ground (a water puddle?) to the implement or the tractor. Such things can easily take place if someone isn't paying close attention to the set-up. I've seen it happen in industrial settings and have no doubt that one of us 'dummies' could mistakenly do something similar at home if distracted.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by swampshooter View Post
    ? really Ima call bull shit on this. Do you understand how electricity works? bearings? lmfao
    In the bearing industry we refer to it as Electrical Erosion.Please see 5.4 on the SKF * Bearing Damage Chart (ISO Failure Mode Classification)
    Carry on Tractor

* registered trademark.
    Last edited by HARV; 10-29-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Quote Originally Posted by HARV View Post
    In the bearing industry we refer to it as Electrical Erosion.Please see 5.4 on the SKF * Bearing Damage Chart (ISO Failure Mode Classification)
    Carry on Tractor

* registered trademark.
    Ok, but how is a tractor grounded? It's on rubber tires, meaning the only other ground it could catch would be through the implement being on the ground. In which case it would still not damage the tractor bearings because electricity follows the path of least resistance. Electrical erosion typically comes from an electrical leak through the bearing over time, unless someone tries to weld on an axle shaft and grounds the housing to do so. Thus, causing the bearing to carry current.

Well Harv beat me to it but if you dont think electricity can ruin bearings, typically over time, your wrong. We replace motors on occasion due to faulty grounds. Bearings get pitted from the electricity.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Well Harv beat me to it but if you dont think electricity can ruin bearings, typically over time, your wrong. We replace motors on occasion due to faulty grounds. Bearings get pitted from the electricity.
    Depends on the amount of current but how long was the ground faulty? Longer than you think it was. Just because a ground is there does not mean it is fully working.

I feel dumber from reading this thread. You people are nuts. Any idea how much welding occurs everyday to pieces of steel that are still rigged to cranes? Rigged with steel chokers. Or sitting on the forks of a forklift.
    Disconnect the battery and carry on if you are worried about it.

Anybody ever heard of a muffler shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Anybody ever heard of a muffler shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I feel dumber from reading this thread. You people are nuts. Any idea how much welding occurs everyday to pieces of steel that are still rigged to cranes? Rigged with steel chokers. Or sitting on the forks of a forklift.

Disconnect the battery and carry on if you are worried about it.

These guys are not dumb.

Never a dumb question, just dumb answers.

G

You can call BS all day but I work on tractors for a living. I also am certified in Applied Failure analysis and have seen the damage done to not just engine bearing but drive train bearings through what is call electrical discharge pitting or as the other guy mention electrical discharge errosion. This can result from not just welding but from a failing alternator, poor, dirty or loose grounds, improper jump starting, lightening strikes and WELDING!!!!!!!
    example if said bush hog is rusted and you dont grind it down to bare metal where you intend to connect the ground clamp when you strike your arc you can send stray current to another area as it does take the path of least resistance.
    Last edited by tractor; 10-30-2014 at 09:27 AM.

here is some reference material.

Quote Originally Posted by tractor View Post
    You can call BS all day but I work on tractors for a living. I also am certified in Applied Failure analysis and have seen the damage done to not just engine bearing but drive train bearings through what is call electrical discharge pitting or as the other guy mention electrical discharge errosion. This can result from not just welding but from a failing alternator, poor, dirty or loose grounds, improper jump starting, lightening strikes and WELDING!!!!!!!
    example if said bush hog is rusted and you dont grind it down to bare metal where you intend to connect the ground clamp when you strike your arc you can send stray current to another area as it does take the path of least resistance.
    Good deal, tear your stuff completely apart to weld on it, I will just weld mine. Glad you are teaching me something 7 years of mechanic work, 4 years of engineering school, real world experience couldn't.

just trying to help the guy prevent an unnecessary damage. I have 30 yrs as farm tractor and heavy eauipment mechanic plus Nashville Auto & Diesel College, plus certified Failure analysis. I will admit I did not believe it at first either but after taking the AFA classes some of the thing I had done in the past I no longer do because now I know what can happen. Yes its a PIA to un hook and hook back up a bush hog but if it saves or prevent costly damage that may not show up right away its worth the extra time to un hook it.

Quote Originally Posted by tractor View Post
    just trying to help the guy prevent an unnecessary damage. I have 30 yrs as farm tractor and heavy eauipment mechanic plus Nashville Auto & Diesel College, plus certified Failure analysis. I will admit I did not believe it at first either but after taking the AFA classes some of the thing I had done in the past I no longer do because now I know what can happen. Yes its a PIA to un hook and hook back up a bush hog but if it saves or prevent costly damage that may not show up right away its worth the extra time to un hook it.
    I'm not saying it can't or doesn't happen. I'm just saying I have a lottery ticket for sat night and have better chances of retiring Monday.

Swampshooter- wish you good luck in your retirement Monday

After you get it welded, make sure you don't drive the tractor under or near any powerlines because it might ruin the bearings. Better safe than sorry.