Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Eastern diamondback

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    We killed a very large one a few years ago at our club in South Georgia. They put a pic of it in the outdoor magazine. It was comical how many times we saw that pic pop back up in emails with crazy stories of it being killed all over the country under ridiculous circumstances.
    I think I know which one you are talking about and I've gotten alot of those emails as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    Saw a PBS special one time and they mentioned rattlesnakes being spotted up to two miles offshore. They also said a rattlesnake cannot bite while in water. I will not test that.

I worked at a vet clinic this summer and saw a dog that was swimming in salt water and got hit by a rattler-- it was bad

Last edited by Calibogue; 09-01-2015 at 09:12 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post

That would be the one we killed at our lease. The snake measured 6 feet 6 inches. Killed it in screven county, ga. And my buddy did about step on it. It was laying near a mineral block he was going to check a camera on.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 09-01-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Them snake boots wouldn't have done no good with him.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    [/B]

That would be the one we killed at our lease. The snake measured 6 feet 6 inches. Killed it in screven county, ga. And my buddy did about step on it. It was laying near a mineral block he was going to check a camera on.
    Talked with Steve about that snake at the Pee Dee Classic and he said he estimated that snake to be over 30 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Talked with Steve about that snake at the Pee Dee Classic and he said he estimated that snake to be over 30 years old.
    Yes the herpetologist at GSU told us it was somewhere between 20-30 years old.

Last one I saw was in Moncks Corner about 20 years ago on a dog drive. Solid 5 1/2' snake. Still the biggest rattler I've seen to date in the wild. It eased on past me across the logging road while I was sitting on my dove stool, and I just sat there amazed. It paid me no mind, so I just watched it go. Can't say I've seen another EDB since.

I killed this one in 1981 on Little Edisto Island while shooting doves - by what was then a freshwater marsh pond just on the west side of Hwy 174 (by Russell Creek). In retrospect, not proud of it. But it was a hoss. I'm 6' 1" for scale.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Dayum what a snake. I bet that one could break a 2x4 clean in half. Impressive creatures no doubt. I talked with an old timer who ran his rabbit beagles in Georgia in warm weather and asked him if he lost any to snakebites. He said they gave them some sort of preventive shot for it but if struck by a diamondback the result was almost always death.

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    Dayum what a snake. I bet that one could break a 2x4 clean in half..

Maybe a paint stirrer...
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

What about that one pernells daughter posed with a few years back? That one was HUGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    This one was supposedly killed between Lake City and Kingsburg by one of the crews working to widen 378. Seems like this same snake gets killed every year around this time. Whoever does these Photoshop jobs should at least cut the head off the snake and not make it 10+ feet long. Isn't this the one a guy in Georgia killed with an iron while looking for a ball?

Lake City, Florida.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff