Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Texas removes Jefferson Davis statue

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default University of Texas removes Jefferson Davis statue

University of Texas removes Jefferson Davis statue

http://news.yahoo.com/university-tex...162652629.html

A statue of Jefferson Davis was removed from its pedestal Sunday on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin, days after a court rejected an appeal from a Confederate heritage group.

Crews were seen removing the statue of the Confederate president from its place near the university's iconic clock tower.

Davis' statue will eventually be displayed in the Briscoe Center history museum on campus, which university officials said is a more appropriate place for it. The Briscoe Center has one of the nation's largest archives on slavery.

The statue has been a target of vandalism as well as criticism that it is a symbol of racism and discrimination. Confederate symbols nationwide are being re-considered following the recent mass shooting of members of a black church in Charleston, South Carolina.

"This is an iconic moment," said Gregory Vincent, the university's vice president for diversity and community engagement, according to the Austin American-Statesman. "It really shows the power of student leadership."

A judge last week ruled against the Sons of Confederate Veterans, which sued to stop the university from moving it.

Statues of other Confederate figures — Confederate Gens. Robert E. Lee and Albert Sidney Johnston, and Confederate Postmaster General John H. Reagan — will remain in their places on campus.

University officials halted earlier plans to move the Davis statue after the Sons of Confederate Veterans asked a judge to stop them. The Confederate group compared the proposal to relocate the statue to the Islamic State group destroying artifacts in the Middle East.

But State District Judge Karin Crump ruled last week that Texas officials have the authority under state law to decide where the statue should stand.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Well we can get use to this happening. Christianity is the real target. The confederate stuff is just a diversion.

Remember to do your part and thank your politicians'. I'd vote against any incumbent running for reelection in the house or senate.

I have about 50 co-sponsors of a Heritage Act referendum. Unfortunately we will need a few democrats.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Should have thought about that earlier.

The families should have called for his head but they didn't. They did the right thing and South Carolina avoided a race war. Count your blessings.

Of course, you may actually have wanted a war. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The families should have called for his head but they didn't. They did the right thing and South Carolina avoided a race war. Count your blessings.

Of course, you may actually have wanted a war. Who knows?
    Avoided a race war? Really? I don't think it would have come to that, but I have learned that if someone wants a fight you may as well go ahead and give it to them. If folks are crazy enough to start a race war over something like that, maybe it needs to happen so we can get rid of the crazy folks.

So let's see. A white guy with stated desire to start a race war goes to the city where the Civil War began, where projects directly border rich white people, goes to the Mother AME church, kills blacks in a church including a black senator, on the heals of rioting in other cities, cops assassinated, and you don't think it would have come to a race war. If not for the families forgiveness, Charleston would have burned.

By race war do you mean blacks rioting and burning people's property when they're away?

The reason you won't see a race war is because white people have a lot of guns and they know how to use them.

Props to the Emmanuel family members though. I think God actually DID speak to them.

Phillip, you give yourself and all of your crooked cronies too much credit. Yall are more the problem than any part of the solution.

Didn't you say you were not going to be on this website anymore..?? Another lie.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

So let's see. A white guy with stated desire to start a race war goes to the city where the Civil War began, where projects directly border rich white people, goes to the Mother AME church, kills blacks in a church including a black senator, on the heals of rioting in other cities, cops assassinated, and you don't think it would have come to a race war. If not for the families forgiveness, Charleston would have burned.
    Your logic is severely flawed as their forgiveness was not conditioned upon you (and the GA) circumventing the political process. There was no violence or riots (as you referenced in other cities) in the weeks between the atrocity and the GA emergency session. In fact, the only rioting was prompted by the announcement that there would be an emergency vote. You can't manufacture an issue, and then expect people to thank you for solving it.

Yes he can. And yes he does.

Nothing a SC politician did or didn't do "stopped" a race war. South Carolinians are Ladies and Gentlemen before we are white and black.

What the entire ga of SC did do was set a precedent.

What was that? When the out side race baiters come a calling do something even if it is wrong.

I'm glad the families that lost folks were able to show a true Christian response, but let me remind you that they are but a few individuals in a large culturally diverse state.

South Carolinians as a whole showed the world how to act in the face of a tragedy.

We the people of SC didn't and do not have the stomach to tolerate a "race war" we are better than that.

Had the SC ga just waited and let their own soul's be still we all as Americans would be better off.

My bad,
    Thanks for "easing racial tensions", the family of the white deputy in Houston and the two news reporters in Virginia are so happy you did what you did. Both were just within the last few days. There will be more to report soon enough because no one outside of Charleston got your memo. Did you and the other sheep celebrate Jefferson Davis removal from U of Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by buckfarmer View Post
    Your logic is severely flawed as their forgiveness was not conditioned upon you (and the GA) circumventing the political process. There was no violence or riots (as you referenced in other cities) in the weeks between the atrocity and the GA emergency session. In fact, the only rioting was prompted by the announcement that there would be an emergency vote. You can't manufacture an issue, and then expect people to thank you for solving it.
    I actually have to agree with this cat for the first time ever. The families forgave the next day, before you took the flag down and saved us all from "war".
    Nice spin though, I will give you that

I will not deny the flag removal was seen as an opportunity across the nation to remove other things they found offensive. We all knew that was a probability.

I never said the flag removal stopped a race war. The families of the victims did that through the grace of God. Had they said kill whitey and burn this city it would have been very different. It is not Southern Ladies and Gentlemen, our gentile way, pleasant polite communication, nice Charlestonians, or removal of the flag. None of that saved Charleston.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Phillip, you give yourself and all of your crooked cronies too much credit. Yall are more the problem than any part of the solution.

Didn't you say you were not going to be on this website anymore..?? Another lie.
    No, I didn't. You are wrong again.

If I am not mistaken Jesse Jackson paid the state a visit last week and said we are moving forward at a pace that is too slow.

Some of you politicians need to jump on that. The master spoke and you don't want him to break out the whip.

You gave an inch so you had best be prepared for more than one mile now.

All this Heritage bullshit is sickening and a terrible way after the fact for the politicians to save face.
    Last edited by SOUTHERN WOODS; 08-30-2015 at 11:42 PM.

So let's see. A Black homosexual guy with stated desire to start a race war goes to the site of a live television taping where his ex-co workers were attempting to make a living and kills whites on a deck including a innocent bystander, on the heals of rioting in other cities, cops assassinated, and you don't think it would have come to a race war? If not for the families forgiveness, The greatest nation in the world would have burned.
    I think we should ban the GAY flag, start riots to get free stuff and wipe out anything that has to do with gays. Maybe, just maybe someone can ask a bunch of guys on a website what the "replacement" flag should be. Yeah thats a good idea.
    R.I.P SFC Spencer Kohlheim.
    Suicide is never a good thing but I understand.
    Thank you for your service to our nation.

If they want to erase all these racist images spread out across the country are they going to rewrite the history books as well ? All this stuff that is being called on for removal are some of the major figures in the racism battle that is still being fought. I ask because learning and understanding all aspects of racism throughout history is how I as well ash he AME church members deal with racism. If you remove the history of it you take away the lessons learned from it and when that happens you get ferguson !