Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First bow kill

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    'How' matters. Congratulations and great job.
    Sorry, I didn't read the thread, just the title. Of course, there's no congratulations or great job for a lost deer.

But, I've lost deer too and I've only gun hunted. Anyone who hunts will lose animals regardless of with a bow or gun.

Animals seldom have heart attacks in their sleep. If they aren't killed by other animals, they usually die slowly of starvation. If such things can be measured, I'm sure a clipped liver beats starvation.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Sprig has killed more shit than the plague.

I would take his opinion as valuable, not gospel.

Y'all need to chill...
    How much he has killed is irrelevant. His posts are elitist and inflammatory. In this case, his opinion lacks all value. No one wants to lose an animal. Hunt enough with any weapon and it will happen. I would venture to say that more deer are wounded and lost with shotguns while dog driving than arrows, but I have never heard anyone blasting that weapon choice. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you should sit in judgment of those who do.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    Another thing, i love this from stick flickers..

"they have to be close"

So, if I get a deer at 30 yds, and carefully cock the trigger of a 30-30, it isnt the same?

The entire "get them close" is a crutch....
    Funny you mention this....spoke with a gent at the feed store and he shot a buck twice with a 30-30 and the deer still ran 100 yards. Both shots to the shoulder and no blood.

Just admit....you don't want to invest the time or patience in doing this yourself. Unless you put in the effort yourself and connect with a deer with a bow, you will never understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDave View Post
    We've all been there. Sorry it happened on your first. Go sling some more arrows at foam, build your confidence back up, and get back out there.
    THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    How much he has killed is irrelevant. His posts are elitist and inflammatory. In this case, his opinion lacks all value. No one wants to lose an animal. Hunt enough with any weapon and it will happen. I would venture to say that more deer are wounded and lost with shotguns while dog driving than arrows, but I have never heard anyone blasting that weapon choice. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you should sit in judgment of those who do.
    You are 100% correct. My opinion lacks all value. This is an internet forum, and I know a total of 6 people out of 8,000 members. Who gives a shit what I say?

I took a beating last year over a similiar thread. A guy killed a dandy, never recovered it. Well, the previous year, he did the same exact thing and posted. I called him out, I was called every name in the book.

Whatever..not everyone deserves a trophy or attaboy.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Even when Ive disagreed with him, there's been at least a hint of truth in what sprigdog has posted. For the most part he seems like a good guy who just has strong opinions I can't fault him for that.

its all about perspective
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

I know this. A bow hunter takes on an obligation that starts with about 50 times more prep work than a gun hunter. This includes 50 hours of shooting for every one hour a gun hunters spends sighting a rifle.

A bow hunter should be in solid physical condition prior to the season and should keep that conditioning. Muscle strength and memory has to be developed an maintained. I don't know the number but there's some minimum number of arrows that should be shot each and every week during the season.

If you don't meet these minimum standards you should just hunt with a gun.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    good bow buck bo...

keep flinging them arrows bo
    Damn rt bo... U see the palmation..

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I know this. A bow hunter takes on an obligation that starts with about 50 times more prep work than a gun hunter. This includes 50 hours of shooting for every one hour a gun hunters spends sighting a rifle.

A bow hunter should be in solid physical condition prior to the season and should keep that conditioning. Muscle strength and memory has to be developed an maintained. I don't know the number but there's some minimum number of arrows that should be shot each and every week during the season.

If you don't meet these minimum standards you should just hunt with a gun.

Shoulda used poison arrahs.....

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    Whatever..not everyone deserves a trophy or attaboy.
    Nail, meet hammer.