Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Power?

Default Solar Power?

I'm in the early stages of researching solar power for my house. SCE&G is my power company and they offer a good bit of info.
    Any of y'all looked into it? Or currently have it? Know any solar companies?

I've done a ton of research and have had multiple solar companies to my house. There are some good deals out there but it's still expensive as all get out. Solar for my home to be completely energy independent was over $50k. Plus they really are not attractive on the roof.

It is a break even deal at best, don't waste your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

What are you trying to accomplish?

$50k invested in Duke Energy stock pays $2,200 a year in dividends - it'll pay most or all of your electric bill plus you'll keep the reliability of the grid.

If you detatch from the grid, you'll have to really change your use style/patterns/amounts - forget air conditioning.

Solar only makes cents (pi) if you have a very high electric rate, a lot of sunshie and access to sell the renewable energy credits - none of which you have if you live in either of the Carolinas.

Even without an energy storage system Solar PV is way more expensive than grid power or other alternative fuels:
    http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/aeo/ele...generation.cfm

I make a good living telling people what I just told you for free...you're welcome...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

My bill during the summer months is like 350-400. During the winter its down around 200. I would not detach from the grid. I would use solar to spin my meter backwards and feed the grid. I would not have a battery bank. Regardless i decided against it.

Quote Originally Posted by swampshooter View Post
    It is a break even deal at best, don't waste your money.
    8 years to break even. Free electricity there after.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    8 years to break even. Free electricity there after.
    Sounds like you've got it figured. Good luck.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I would be interested in knowing what size panels would be required to sustain an average home. My guess would be it would need to be several 200'X200' panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Krasko View Post
    I would be interested in knowing what size panels would be required to sustain an average home. My guess would be it would need to be several 200'X200' panels.
    Takes a lot more than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Sounds like you've got it figured. Good luck.
    All I figured out was I didn't have $50k laying around to buy solar panels that was going to take 8 years to break even on solar panels that are engineered to last 20-25 years. If I had $50k I'd go your rout with duke stocks.

There are many ways you can improve your building envelope to help lower your utility bill. Sounds like your Cooling cost is close to $1000 per year, I would start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Krasko View Post
    There are many ways you can improve your building envelope to help lower your utility bill. Sounds like your Cooling cost is close to $1000 per year, I would start there.
    New hvac is on the list. I use to mange an insulation company. I'd have to say my home is done right. I did back my knee walls with 3/4" rigid foam board this summer and that helped a good bit.

Good insulation is the least expensive and most bang for your dollar. If you are confident your house has adequate insulation then you have your answer. Qualified HVAC guys can give you an idea what your savings would be with the new modern systems. I would have an evaluation performed on the complete system so you can understand where your energy loss is. The more qualified contractors will perform a calculation based on several factors, I think it's a Manual J. I would insist this is done since you can only reap the rewards of any high efficiency system when all components sized for the heat load. There is a new duct sealing procedure that seals the ductwork from the inside, I am actually looking to have this performed at my home since it would improve both cooling and heating.
    Last edited by Joe Krasko; 08-29-2015 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    My bill during the summer months is like 350-400. During the winter its down around 200.
    That is insanity. Either a) someone wants 60 degrees indoors when its 95 degrees outdoors, b) you're growing pot in the spare bedroom, or c) you have no insulation in your house.

Two of those situations are unacceptable.

No shit ... I pay around $250 to cool 3500 sqft. We keep the AC on 24/7, between 70-72.

You're either paying way too much due to some kind of issue ... Or you have a huge house.

Insulation is fine. Some duct work leakage under the house but not a ton. Would be interested in learning more on the seal from the inside of the duct. House is not huge. Temp stays on 75. During the day. I've never lived in a brick home until now. They hold a lot of heat even after the sun goes down. I'm fairly confident the hvac units themselves are the problem.

I would be interested in just enough solar power to run my refrigerator, freezer, and some lights if the grid went down.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

You guys should see some Camden Facebook posts about electricity.

Folks friends this last cycle had bills ranging from $600-$1100. That's water/sewer/trash pick up/electricity. However, that's insane!

Posted with GS5 smartphone equipped with a dumb keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I would be interested in just enough solar power to run my refrigerator, freezer, and some lights if the grid went down.
    To have power when the grid is down, you must have a batter bank. And those are steep. You are much better off buying a gas powered generator as back up power than you are relying on solar and a battery bank.

Lots of research on this aeroseal company today. I will have them come do an analysis on my home and will report the results. If the cost is under $5k I will let the seal my ducts. It should be according to "this old house". They say for an average 2000 sqft home 1500-2500 depending on stories and number of units. I will go high side. 2 stories two units and 3000 sqft. I don't think I'm willing to pay more than $5k unless they give me a written guarantee on energy savings. They majority of my adult life has been in insulation and energy construction so I have a fairly good grasp on what to expect. My largest concern with aeroseal is it seams Ll of it studies were done on hard pipe and not flex duct. We'll see...soon