Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 270 and corelok 130 grain

To my eye, it looks like that core-lokt performed as advertised. Why it took a funny hop around the body cavity who knows.

The Fusion is the same type SP bullet honestly. A step laterally rather than a step up.

Im not disparaging core-lokts or another other bullet.
    But imo nothing is going to produce my more DRT kills on a deer than a ballistic tip style bullet.
    Those bullets go off like a tactical nuke in the body cavity.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 10-31-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    To my eye, it looks like that core-lokt performed as advertised. Why it took a funny hop around the body cavity who knows.

The Fusion is the same type SP bullet honestly. A step laterally rather than a step up.

Im not disparaging core-lokts or another other bullet.
    But imo nothing is going to produce my more DRT kills on a deer than a ballistic tip style bullet.
    Those bullets go off like a tactical nuke in the body cavity.
    I may go back to them.
    Go Tigers!!!

What would some of yall say the best factory load is? Not everyone has time to reload, so we are forced to buy of the shelf ammo. So is it Hornady? Nosler?

Default 270 and corelok 130 grain

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    What would some of yall say the best factory load is? Not everyone has time to reload, so we are forced to buy of the shelf ammo. So is it Hornady? Nosler?

Barnes Vortex or federal premium loaded GameKings

Sent from the Strut Zone
    Last edited by davisd9; 10-31-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

If you want to shoot deer through both shoulders with factory ammo use a Nosler Partition. IMHO

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    Do not recall saying it had anything to do with speed. For all I know there could have been an issue with the lot from the factory. Actually if they are not expanding correctly it would probably have less speed, so a low charge or something. You are more than welcome to disagree with me but do not put words into my mouth. I do not know why I had the issue I had with them.

Sent from the Strut Zone
    I don't think I put words in your mouth. Those were your words about the bullet working well beyond 100 yards but not under. I have heard the mantra about a bullet going too fast to expand (or the deer was too close) countless times over the decades. That may not have been your point but that is how it read. For the one example of it penciling through. Yep it could happen but a small exit does not necessarily mean poor performance. Some of the smallest exits I have had have been with the TTSX but internally they were devastating. Sometimes wounding loss can be hard to explain.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter81 View Post
    If you want to shoot deer through both shoulders with factory ammo use a Nosler Partition. IMHO

This

I don't think a bullet has ever failed me. I can say that my shot placement did not allow the bullet to do its job properly a few times over the years. Think about the body angle and the off side of your target when considering shot placement.
    Last edited by 4THEGIRLS; 11-01-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggin View Post
    You're an idiot
    Explain yourself

I think we all can agree, shot placement it critical regardless of the projectile fired (within reason). This applies to nearly all hunting situations and can even be applied in self defense situations. I'd take a shot to an outer extremity from a high powered rifle over a well placed center mass shot from a hand gun any day. If the shot is not placed in a vulnerable area with a good opportunity to cause significant damage to a vital area, there's a good possibility the kill won't be clean or even effective. I'm not denying that bullets do strange things but IMO placement trumps projectile 99% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    The 'deadest' I've ever killed them is by hitting them right there. I'm talking not even a leg kick after the shot.

I killed a doe tonight with a hand load corelok. She ran exactly 0 yards

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

A Core-lokt bullet will flat out work. The only problem I have had with them over the years is mediocre accuracy at best.....but I admit to being a little more anal retentive about that than some. Realistically, 1.25 MOA accuracy is good enough to kill just about any deer you will shoot at though. The problem I have experienced has been inconsistent accuracy. Sometimes I get a good group. Other times it is poor.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 11-08-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Placement placement placement. I shoot 130 grain hornady SSTs out of my 270 and love it. Most deer drop in their tracks. To this day the shittiest bullet I've ever shot deer with is a Winchester ballistic silver tip. No expansion whatsoever in the 4 deer I shot with it.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

I like core lokts. Most of the nerds complaining about them need to learn how to trail.

I remember a post from about a year ago, on a well know hunting/shooting website, where someone sectioned several different brands of cup and core bullets. What stuck with me was just how inconsistant the Core-loks were on jacket thickness.
    Seems like they varied as much as 30%. If the jackets are unusually thick, you may be seeing less expansion. The Nosler Partition was easily the most consistant as far as bullet construction.

I'm a HUGE Barnes slut. Been shooting them for more than 20 years, and have killed truckloads of deer with them. ( I shoot dep tags at my brother in laws 5000 acre farm, so I probably shoot a few more deer a year than most folks). BUT, I've seen what a young lady has been doing over the past couple of years with the 120 grn Federal Fusions in a 7mm-08, and I have to say, the results are pretty damn impressive. None of her deer have gone more than 40 yrds, and a one eyed yankee could follow the blood trails...

Accu bonds(bombs) or partitions are about as good as it gets for factory.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Placement placement placement. I shoot 130 grain hornady SSTs out of my 270 and love it. Most deer drop in their tracks. To this day the shittiest bullet I've ever shot deer with is a Winchester ballistic silver tip. No expansion whatsoever in the 4 deer I shot with it.
    You realize the Ballistic Silver Tip is a Nosler BT with a moly coating on it don't you? I've shot a few truckloads of deer with the BT over the 20+ years I've used them, only had one failure in that time and it was sort of freakish.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    not saying this isn't true but I have shoot everything between a coyote and a 400# black bear with them and have had nothing but sucess (Standard Nosler BTs like salty said are the same) I currently shoot them at 3600fps in a WSSM and 2200fps in a 300blk as well as a few in between and all are devastating on deer. These and SSTs are my two favorite whitetail bullets for MOST applications.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Solid copper bullets are probably "overkill" for Whitetails in most cartridges.. however, they will exit almost every time.( I have only recovered one on a stem to stern shot).. I continue to be very impressed with the Barnes TTSX. Devastating damage to deer for sure.

I have switched to the Accubond on my 270s and my 7RemMag. Very accurate as expected and great "terminal performance" Partitions are the bullet by which all others should be judged. Still an excellent choice for all big game animals.

Shot the Ballistic Tips from several cartridges and NEVER had an issue. Most deer were DRT kills with severe internal damage...I have a nice collection of perfectly mushroomed BTs and Corelokts too. In the .270, I always shot a heavier weight bullet , specifically the 150 grain BT or Corelokt..

Corelokt is a "plain vanilla" cup and core bullet. It works. Shot placement is KING.... If there is ever the option, pin the shoulders. Ammo is cheap, it pays to shoot the best bullet , suited to the animal you are hunting- Good luck.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.