Thread: Boat blind material

Default Boat blind material

I know how I want to build my blind. Similar to the cabelas blind but I cannot find the material I want to use. I am looking for some 1" aluminum pipe or conduit. Black pipe and galvanized pipe seems way too heavy. I want it to be sturdy but don't want it to weigh a shit ton. Any ideas?

I built one out of 3/4 inch conduit bought from lowes. Came off a 17 foot boat I sold. It's in charleston still but I'd be willing to give it to you for a case of beer.
    Go Tigers!!!

Mines built out of conduit. I can stand on either side of it and it's relatively light.
    It's always High Tide in the High Tide

A simple 1in conduit scissor blind is and always has been the easiest and cheapest blind.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I said I would never spend the money on the Avery blind but now that I have owned one can confidently say I will never own anything else.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I said I would never spend the money on the Avery blind but now that I have owned one can confidently say I will never own anything else.
    X2
    She needs more power!

The only problem with the Avery blind is that it's made and sold by Avery. I crossed them off my 'buy list' a number of years ago.

That being said, building a scissors blind isn't all the hard to do, and you can either use 1" aluminum or 3/4" conduit, depending on personal preference.

The one I built years ago has 4 legs with a 1/2" conduit top frame, a nylon windskirt and cut-leaf camo panels on the outside. The bottom outside edges of the windskirt are weighted with PVC pipe just to keep the skirt from blowing into the boat on windy/rainy days. It's more work to put up and take down than an Avery-style, but it also cost me about 25% of those store bought ones.

If I was to build it again I'd use a scissor's blind design.

As for the materials, if you want a wind skirt on the inside, go to the fabric store and ask for nylon flag material.

Can't help on the outside camo material as you haven't said what you're looking for, if anything.

For the piping, I'd check with a boat top/bimini top builder to see where they get their aluminum if you can't locate any better pricing on the 'net. Here's one place you can use as a guide, or a source...

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=71&top_cat=60

If you're making a scissors-type blind, check for bimini top brackets for your swivels, etc.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Yeah I was t going to use and fittings. Just run a boot through with a nylon locking but for the hinge. I am looking for something long enough so I can heat and bend and not have to use fittings to make make it long enough and elbow it. Would prob need (2)15-16' pieces

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    Yeah I was t going to use and fittings. Just run a boot through with a nylon locking but for the hinge. I am looking for something long enough so I can heat and bend and not have to use fittings to make make it long enough and elbow it. Would prob need (2)15-16' pieces
    I'm not sure what you just said, and don't think you can get 16' pcs of aluminum tubing... ???... but you can splice it like I did with the 1/2" conduit I used.

I bent the conduit at the corners and where I needed to butt splice two pieces, I inserted a 1/2" x 6" oak dowel rod on the inside with the conduit couplings on the outside. I haven't had any problems with the joints after almost 14 years now (damn... time flies!).

You can heat and bend and take a chance at getting them uniform, or you can just buy/rent a tube bender and make them consistent if you don't want square corners.
    ~ George Washington

Yeah iphone like to auto correct everything I type.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    The only problem with the Avery blind is that it's made and sold by Avery. I crossed them off my 'buy list' a number of years ago
    Yea you're right fuck buying a well made product that works. What was I thinking?
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Yea you're right fuck buying a well made product that works. What was I thinking?
    LOL... yeah, what were you thinking?

It's a long story and goes back a number of years and up to Tom and his staff.

Avery still makes some decent stuff, but I seem to hear more complaints than compliments overall.

YMMV...
    ~ George Washington

Get u some conduit from lowes and just get pieces welded together. I've built many of them and still hold together good

Not sure where u r in upstate or if u have access to a bender
    Last edited by UpSouth811; 10-14-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Find an electrician and I guarantee he will have a bender as basic equipment.

Heres a link to the bender i have at my shop. I order my aluminum pipe in 22' sticks. You could get away with aluminum for around 40 bucks.

http://s1131.photobucket.com/user/pa...50c0e.mp4.html

I made mine out of conduit and matched Avery blind
    Hinge system. Looks good and is stable. Got all the measurements off my buddy's Avery.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

tXFowler would you be opposed to buying a used Avery blind? Just took one off of my 1660 Go-Devil.

Use emt conduit. 1/2" with lighter material and 3/4" with heavier panels. All you need is $30 bender and handful of couplings. Set on post or sissor frame. 2x on wind liner on lighter covers and pvc on bottom edge is the only way to go. Holds it down in wind and easy to roll up and store.