Thread: 2nd split off to a good start

Default 2nd split off to a good start

I lucked up and drew the best stand on the powerline. I slung a decoy over the wire and it was magic. I was shooting beyond my own ability and my young dog was on fire. My old dog was there just to prove to us he still had the flame. It was an epic hunt...one that will be long remembered. I left the field with my limit an hour before anyone else. I shot three witnessed doubles. I also had a bonus 5 pigeons that got too close. My dogs will be twitching in their sleep tonight...me too. I love this time of year.

Awesome!

Bugby?

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Invite him inside for a tall cool glass of die mother fucker.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Good to have days like that on occasion. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by formerly bohica View Post
    Bugby?
    My sources all say there are no birds on the other couple of fields in the area. Maybe they have them all hemmed up at Bugby.
    cut\'em

The owner of the fields across the street (L.H.) was shooting with us. Later Saturday evening, I saw D.H who runs the club down the street and he said they didn't have a lot. The problem is that there is too much land that was recently harvested. We had way more birds than we could get near because they were so spread out.

Glad to know someone is holding the birds, it was starting to sound like they weren't on the island. Y'all historically have the best field though...
    cut\'em

Who is taking care of that place since John is at Seminary?

We crushed it in Anderson. I was done in just over 30 minutes.
    Carolina Counsel

Damn ya'll quit being greedy and send some our way!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Glad to know someone is holding the birds, it was starting to sound like they weren't on the island. Y'all historically have the best field though...
    Harold P T probably has the best fields on the island that I know of.. but the most exclusive hunts. He maintains a small, intimate club but he and Pete D know how to do it.

Pigeons are a scourge in the area. One club has tried special depredation hunts to reduce the numbers. The problem is that they come in groups and you usually only get one volley at them before they're educated. I cleaned a couple of the pigeons I shot and those bastards were chock full of corn, sunflowers and wheat. One pigeon can eat the same amount that would feed four of five doves.

VaTransplantDuckHunter wrote: Who is taking care of that place since John is at Seminary?

John has gotten an assignment in Sumter. I'm hoping he'll be with us for some of the hunts this season.

Good stuff. I just ran out of doves to eat unfortunately

PB, there are a Lot of good people that we seem to know mutually. I'm sure we'll cross paths sometime.
    Last edited by surfcock; 11-18-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Harold P T probably has the best fields on the island that I know of.. but the most exclusive hunts. He maintains a small, intimate club but he and Pete D know how to do it.

Pigeons are a scourge in the area. One club has tried special depredation hunts to reduce the numbers. The problem is that they come in groups and you usually only get one volley at them before they're educated. I cleaned a couple of the pigeons I shot and those bastards were chock full of corn, sunflowers and wheat. One pigeon can eat the same amount that would feed four of five doves.

VaTransplantDuckHunter wrote: Who is taking care of that place since John is at Seminary?

John has gotten an assignment in Sumter. I'm hoping he'll be with us for some of the hunts this season.
    I used to shoot those pigeons every single day when I farmed that place. One day there was about 5-700 birds on the wire between the first and second pole, I thought the whole line was coming down. I shot a few off on the first shot and the momentum from all of those birds getting up at one time made that line bounce about 5ft above the tope of the poles.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    I used to shoot those pigeons every single day when I farmed that place. One day there was about 5-700 birds on the wire between the first and second pole, I thought the whole line was coming down. I shot a few off on the first shot and the momentum from all of those birds getting up at one time made that line bounce about 5ft above the tope of the poles.
    The power company replaced the line a year or two ago. They argued that folks were breaking the wire by shooting it and finally found out it was too loose and the birds and wind were making the wires touch and arc.