Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom VS Out of the box arrows

I'm shooting Gold Tip Hunters now. Going to get a batch of XTs this week in 400 and shoot these from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    There was a time where having a set of arrows setup for you was a good thing. I don't think that's the case anymore. If you are looking for better accuracy arrows are the last thing I would worry about.
    Bow is set up good. Got a new release and it's even better. That's why I was thinking about arrows. I've enjoyed learning everything about archery and trying to gain more.

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    Shoot the arrows out of the box, until the fletchings fall of. Go to academy, and buy the quick fletch with blazer veins for $15 per 6. Dunk them in hot water, and your done. Veins are stronger and more accurate than any tech has installed them because they always have the part timer doing them or in a rush so I never trust a archery shop fletching job. Plus its cheaper and you don't have to fool with glue or people.
    I'll try this once they start wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    I knew I didn't have much, but didn't realize I was poor.
    Shit, that's a lie. Aren't you shooting a Halon now?
    Last edited by TJ_11; 08-24-2016 at 10:22 AM.

In all seriousness it really doesn't make a difference for most.

I shoot big broadheads so I need helical feathers to stabilize those things. And I enjoy arrow work and like the looks of a matched set of custom feather fletched arrows.

The quick dip fletch others have mentioned work great, even with most fixed blade heads. And tolerances for carbon arrows have come a long way that even the cheapest ones are far straighter and within a few grains of weight of one another that it really doesn't matter.

I do make a sexy ass arrow though.

Feets is right (for once). Glenn does all my arrah work - and I'm a serious bow shooter.

Speaking of which, I have 4 with feathers that need to be reworked now. Might as well go ahead with those orange and purple ones I brought back from Lancaster. I'll bring the arrahs to ya tomorrow. They gonna be sporty.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

As others said the NAP Quickfletches work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Feets is right (for once). Glenn does all my arrah work - and I'm a serious bow shooter.

Speaking of which, I have 4 with feathers that need to be reworked now. Might as well go ahead with those orange and purple ones I brought back from Lancaster. I'll bring the arrahs to ya tomorrow. They gonna be sporty.
    Bring 'em on. I've got a bunch of mine to do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    If you put those pre-made fletching abominations on your arrows you are busch league.
    Take it back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    In all seriousness it really doesn't make a difference for most.

I shoot big broadheads so I need helical feathers to stabilize those things. And I enjoy arrow work and like the looks of a matched set of custom feather fletched arrows.
    I'm trying those QAD exodus broad heads. They aren't big.

I do have some Muzzy Phantom 4 blades and they are big. Going to use them for pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    I'm not, just try to get some solid education so I can hunt like you.
    L to the O and the L

You know how many bucks he let die of old age?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    I'm trying those QAD exodus broad heads. They aren't big.

I do have some Muzzy Phantom 4 blades and they are big. Going to use them for pigs.
    and F that, I want you to use some Muzzy Phantom tannerite. This ain't a sporting event, this is business.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTom View Post
    L to the O and the L

You know how many bucks he let die of old age?
    They aren't dead.

This is grouping at 30 with the new carter release I got yesterday. I was pleased.

Now it ain't now Dhall group, but it was his Elite bow. Maybe that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Dip fletch people use sod from lowes
    quick fletch people also use electric weed eaters.

There is a big difference in "set up good" and being tuned. Do a little research on bare shaft tuning.

The first place you want to start to shoot better groups is your form and grip. There is a more than most even know about on this subject. Next is the the bow. Making sure the bow is in spec at rest and full draw is crucial. Then comes the rest and knock part of your "tune" once all that is done the balance of the bow is crucial. Next and in my opinion the final and quite possibly the smallest part are your arrows. Putting pretty feathers or super rad 2" vanes are not "building" arrows. You can get crazy with arrows by floating them to find the "top" or spine of each arrow. Also making sure all ends are properly squared on both ends (most arrow cutters will have wheel deflection that causes the cut to be crooked.

The old saying that it's not the arrow it's the Indian is very true. Most folks pay for crazy straight arrows and will never see the benefits in there groupings. Durability is what I want and where I spend my money.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    Glenn makes his own feathers from turkeys that he has harvested.
    He then passionately adheres the turkey's feathers to his shaft. Glenn is a serious bowhunter.
    I just laughed so hard at this I woke the kid up from a nap.

Serious bowhunters kill deer. I'm Busch league. Busch Light even.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    Fletching your own arrows with feathers is a very intimate process and aids in the attempt to "become the arrow". Glenn makes his own feathers from turkeys that he has harvested.
    He then passionately adheres the turkey's feathers to his shaft. Glenn is a serious bowhunter.
    Psshh...I call it being one with my food, when I got a Plate full of deer steak ready to eat. I use stuff that works and gets the job done. No offense to Glean, because I can understand the methodology behind it, but I've seen friends try to go with that off the wall, be different type stuff only to fail and fail bad. Me, I'm going to use what ever costs me the less money, works the best, and not second guess if my equipment is or isn't going to do what I need it to do.

I'm a serious hunter, budget-er, and man with common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    There is a big difference in "set up good" and being tuned. Do a little research on bare shaft tuning.

The first place you want to start to shoot better groups is your form and grip. There is a more than most even know about on this subject. Next is the the bow. Making sure the bow is in spec at rest and full draw is crucial. Then comes the rest and knock part of your "tune" once all that is done the balance of the bow is crucial. Next and in my opinion the final and quite possibly the smallest part are your arrows. Putting pretty feathers or super rad 2" vanes are not "building" arrows. You can get crazy with arrows by floating them to find the "top" or spine of each arrow. Also making sure all ends are properly squared on both ends (most arrow cutters will have wheel deflection that causes the cut to be crooked.

The old saying that it's not the arrow it's the Indian is very true. Most folks pay for crazy straight arrows and will never see the benefits in there groupings. Durability is what I want and where I spend my money.

Ok Bill Nye the Science Douche, I buy my arrows unseen used from Archery talk. If they need to be cut, I tape them, mark them, and cut with a cheap hand saw, dunk them in hot water and shoot. There is more common sense to tuning than being a Rad lingo bow tuning man! Get out there, shoot and shoot consistently to maintain muscle memory. If you don't practice for a while you will know it big time, and stupid people will blame it on the bow.
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

Every time a southern man uses quick fletch or screws on a rage broadhead Ol Dixie dies a little more

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    quick fletch people also use electric weed eaters.
    I'm sorry for your over paid arrows and small wiener.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Every time a southern man uses quick fletch or screws on a rage broadhead Ol Dixie dies a little more
    Tell me more on what a man should shoot? I use 100 grain QAD exodus swept broad heads.

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    Tell me more on what a man should shoot? I use 100 grain QAD exodus swept broad heads.
    Those qad heads are strong. Nothing but good things to say. Only head that passes it is the ramcat - But that is strictly opinion based on the deer I have killed and the deer I have helped friends gut. Both fly great and have a terminal effect on deer. Nothing wrong with boil-n-fletch. It does what it is designed to do extremely well and saves a lot of trips to the shop to have someone half ass their way through your fletch job. But, buying a jig and fletching your own opens the door to dial in exactly what you like, kinda like hand loading ammo. I only shoot blazers, so I bought the blazer jig. Easily worth $40.