Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When did TIPS become REQUIREMENTS?

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I tip, and do it well under most circumstances. That being said,

The tipping business is crap in and of itself.

It is simply a way for restaurant owners to not have to pay their employees. Period.

I pay for my meal. I shouldn't have to pay for you to bring it to me.
    20% to the bill because you walked it 20ft from the kitchen to my table?
    Refills for my drink come as part of my meal. I have to pay extra for you to actually bring me the refilled glass?
    It should be the restaurant's responsibility to see that my food makes it across the room and finds my table. That is a part of the job requirement.

Same thing with cab fare. I am obligated to pay the 10.50$ the meter calculates for my ride. You are a cab driver, why do I have to reward you with another 4.00$ for doing what your job requires you to do?

Same with bar tenders. You sell beer/liquor. I paid 3.00 for a beer, but now I have to pay extra for you to open the cooler and pull it out for me?

I have always felt like this.

Agreed with all your points.

I effed up in Vegas last time. Three friends and I went into a club. I bought the first round of $2.00 shooters. Thought I was giving the girl a ten but threw a hundred on the tray. She looked at me and said "really?". That's when I noticed it. Had no choice but to smile and say yeah. She did not stray far from the table all night. Our tab ended up being less than $20 and she ended up with $160 bucks in tips. I ended up with a headache for two days.

I'm sure they can. But....

I'm not paying some dude I don't really know, 250-400$ to hang out with me and joke around for 5 hours.
    I'm paying him for his ability to provide whatever type of game I am seeking.

It's the same for trophy class.

If I pay you to put a monster buck in front of me, you agree, then the day of the hunt, we only see 4 points, your end of the deal was not upheld, therefore I am not required to uphold mine.

If I want to buy a car and you say you have the perfect 2013 toyota camry, but when I show up you offer a 1992 taurus, I'm not buying that car because you had some funny jokes, and I liked you on a personal level.
    I just don't agree. Hunting is hunting. If the guide works hard for me, then he gets a good tip, irrespective of the number of birds killed/size of buck killed. He can't control weather, game behavior, game numbers (sometimes), etc. If I think he pulled some BS with me, then that's different. However, I do not tip based upon the results (except to say that I might give an extra big tip if he puts me on a booner, which has yet to happen).
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    Bog.....so you are saying. If you pay to go duck hunting, you better shoot ducks? This, my friend, is part of the reason the whole release bird thing got started..
    If I call a guide in Arkansas and book a day to come hunt, I expect the opportunity to take my 6 ducks to be presented. Yes.
    We aren't talking about actually killing said 6 ducks, but I damn sure expect the opportunity to shoot at them.

Why else would I pay money? To hang out?

You would enter into a deal with someone, and still pay them if they didn't uphold their end of the bargain?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I was sent out west to hunt with a couple outfitters for my job, ducks, geese, and pheasant were the targets. The only thing I paid for out of my own pocket were tips. The first outfitter I visited worked their ass off to find birds, chase down cripples in some nasty mud, changed the decoy spread around when birds weren't acting right and did anything else that was necessary. On the last day I forked over a good amount of money to them for a tip, and never thought twice about it.

The next outfitter sucked. The first morning they put me and Mcduck with two other guys who weren't with us ... They then left us there. I (a client who was paying, not being payed) chased down all of the cripples, changed the decoy spread, and did everything a guide would have done (not that I minded, but that's what they were paid to do). To make matters worse, we ended up finding out that they had put us on public land where they couldn't guide to begin with and there weren't many birds using the area anyways. We did this for 3 days. On the last day I handed him a couple twenties and told him that I wasn't impressed at all and that the whole operation was lacking ... He had a look of disbelief on his face, almost like he was entitled to a tip just because we had a pulse and we were at his lodge.

I wouldn't hesitate again not to tip a guide or tip him very little if the service is shit. There's a lot of those types out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    Bog.....so you are saying. If you pay to go duck hunting, you better shoot ducks?

You dang right! That's what you are paying them for...That guide knows whether the impoundments are holding birds or not. The guide has a very good idea of what you may or may not shoot that day/week. It's a given they cannot guarantee whether birds will show up or not. Now, it's a different story if you go and cannot hit the backside of a barn.

Some of you people really are fucking weird. It's like children debating children.

I really wonder how many of you actually worked in the service industry and had to put up with assholes like yourselves.

A tip is a tip, base it off of the service you receive. How hard is that?

To Insure Prompt Service

Not "Pay me money because I showed up and phoned it in."

If they do their job then they get tipped. If they don't then they don't. 10% just because? Eff that.

Highstrung wins...

And I am beginning to wonder how many of you frequent Applebee's for all you can eat riblets and mango-Rita's wit yo girl on the weekends. Bunch of non-tippers lurking around here. I'm disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    No you don't tip cause your a cheap ass
    Froto don't you have a ring to protect or something?

If I call a guide in Arkansas and book a day to come hunt, I expect the opportunity to take my 6 ducks to be presented. Yes.
    We aren't talking about actually killing said 6 ducks, but I damn sure expect the opportunity to shoot at them.

Why else would I pay money? To hang out?

You would enter into a deal with someone, and still pay them if they didn't uphold their end of the bargain?
    Yes, that is my point.

You probably know this, but some other do not. They started releasing ducks in Arkansas long before it ever happened around here.
    Last edited by FHF; 02-28-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Closing costs irritate the hell out of me as well.

Complete scam.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

The biggest mistake a waiter can make is to let my tea glass sit empty for more than a few minutes. That really torques me off.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I hate to say it but I agree with Bogster (just this once).

I tip for good service, if the service is lousy then I don't tip. It's simple.

Tips shouldn't be based on the food if you server didn't cook it.

I've never tipped for takeout food, it's stupid and just pissing money away.

It's not my responsibility to make up the extra $ that a restaurant owner doesn't pay his employees.

It's pretty simple to me.
    Last edited by SOUTHERN WOODS; 02-28-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    You dang right! That's what you are paying them for...That guide knows whether the impoundments are holding birds or not. The guide has a very good idea of what you may or may not shoot that day/week. It's a given they cannot guarantee whether birds will show up or not. Now, it's a different story if you go and cannot hit the backside of a barn.
    Sometimes it's just not that easy...My brothers, dad, uncle and some friend’s went to North Dakota to shoot some ducks a few years ago...It was a reputable place that did ducks, pheasant, and deer guides. They were young, energetic, and good at what they did. Guess how many ducks we shot at...0...we pulled the trigger on a couple a geese the first day but that was it. It wasn't their fault. The weather in Canada screwed us up. We had fun shooting pheasant though!

Tipping 10% for shitty service? No doubt there is a democrat here, but it ain't me. Get paid to do a subpar job? Doesn't that sound more like a democrat?

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    This gal isn't very bright if she is paying for graduate school out of pocket...
    That is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard. I think she is brilliant she comes out of school with NO debt none. pretty damned smart in my book. I guess to gradute with thousands of dollars in debt is much smarter.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS