Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surprise! More Bullshit......

Default Surprise! More Bullshit......

You've got one life. Blaze on!

We live in a shitty state.
    Windows Down!

You need to get busy on those damn hogs Raybird!

Season should be closed for the next few years.

You knew that was coming.
    \"Go to Know\"

Definition of insanity. It's time for Ruth to move on, this state will never get better with his means of data collections. Issue tags and make it mandatory to report kills by 30 days after season closes or lose your privileges for the next year.

Repeat this with deer and you could actually manage this states natural resources.

It's not Ruth's fault we don't have deer tags and Tele-check.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    It's not Ruth's fault we don't have deer tags and Tele-check.
    Really?
    Windows Down!

What biologist wouldn't want the means normal states have manage the natural resources?

He doesn't want it. He said it himself many times in discussions.

And his DNR representatives in Cola said "over their dead body" last year about a Telecheck system.

But hey, a 45 day season seems to be the answer. Lol
    Windows Down!

Since we all know that there's a ton of politics involved with who makes the calls on what, is there any way to start some sort of petition, do something to get some sort of momentum to push for better management?
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

He is the main reason we no longer check deer/turkey at weigh stations. Also the reason why we do not have a fall turkey season anymore. There is no reason why we cannot have a single tag fall season.

Maybe Duct Tape can enlighten us how to petition for change.
    Last edited by Smilee; 10-11-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    He is the main reason we no longer check deer/turkey at weigh stations. Also the reason why we do not have a fall turkey season anymore. There is no reason why we cannot have a single tag fall season.

Maybe Duct Tape can enlighten us how to petition for change.

There hasn't been a fall turkey season in SC since 91 or 92. Don't think Ruth was even at DNR then, hell he might have still been in school.

Check stations are notoriously underused. Same thing happened with deer check stations. That one's too far away, closed, too busy to check my deer (or turkey), and I have the (turkey or) deer in my truck, the game warden hasn't seen me....I'm going home. Hunted the upstate when check stations were mandatory, and deer were routinely not checked in at the club where I hunted.

Surveys do work. Argue if you want, by statistically they are pretty accurate and no, not everyone has to be sent a form for them to be accurate. Certainly more so than check stations that only a fraction of the people used.

Last fall season was early 80s not 90s. The survey data isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Ruth had the turkey position thrust upon him when Dave Baughman left and we have suffered because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Last fall season was early 80s not 90s. The survey data isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Ruth had the turkey position thrust upon him when Dave Baughman left and we have suffered because of that.
    Why isn't survey data accurate? What would Mr. Baughman have done differently? The legislature sets the season and limits right? They are still the same as they were then.
    Last edited by JBtflo; 10-11-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Why isn't the survey data accurate......

Well let me ask you.......

Do you think everyone fills it out trithfully?

Do you think everybody that hunted turkeys, I mean ACTUALLY HUNTED turkeys, received a survey to even fill out?

Do you receive one?

In case you're wondering, I did not.

I've always gotten a survey.

So what would you do to get an accurate number?

I get the surveys. One of the questions they ask is if you hunted them and how many times.
    I don't know a lot about statistics but I know you don't have to survey every turkey hunter in the state to get a pretty accurate picture of what the total would be if you did.
    I would guess some folks lie but less so than the number of people who never took their turkeys to the check-in stations.

Check in stations were a joke. I was proud to take my first one there. Every one after that was a pain in the ass and I know more than one person who just bypassed them completely.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    Why isn't the survey data accurate......

Well let me ask you.......

Do you think everyone fills it out trithfully?

Do you think everybody that hunted turkeys, I mean ACTUALLY HUNTED turkeys, received a survey to even fill out?

Do you receive one?

In case you're wondering, I did not.

And not everyone checks game in, or phones it in... got it. you will never get a total physical count. People are gonna do what they want when they want to. However, if you assume most people fill out surveys accurately, the occasional dipwad is either flushed out as it is only one of thousands, or intentionally tossed out (for killing 9 birds for example). Statistically, the numbers are as accurate as you can expect to get provided enough people are sampled.

Done right, statistics work by randomly sampling a subset of the total hunters and extrapolating the results them across all hunters. At some point, sampling more people will not change the final numbers, just cost you more to send out more surveys. That's why not everyone gets a survey.

Some years I get a survey, some years I don't. Statistically it doesn't matter if I get one every year. The sooner everyone realizes that, the better off we all will be.

I don't live in SC, but I have hunted there and understand how the tag system works. In all reality though, what good are the tags? I'm sure nearly every person that frequents the turkey woods and has friends that are turkey killers, knows at least one person that kills well over 5 birds per year.

People that want to kill over 5 will kill over 5 tags or not.

I think coming up with any accurate data on turkey harvest numbers is nearly impossible, no matter what the system.
    Last edited by Gut_Pile; 10-11-2014 at 04:57 PM.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004