Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: BIG ROCK 2014

9 lbs. Damn
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by CYPRESNEAK View Post
    Sprig doesn't hunt for the ambiance of a beautiful sunrise..
    Shit's overrated.

Marlin on the grill ain't horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Chewy, like bubblegum chewy...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

When I lived in Hatteras Village, they sold "smoked Marlin" in sticks like beef jerky at the bait store in the marina.

My buddy fishing it today just said they had three in the spread today and couldn't get em to knock it down.

Quote Originally Posted by CYPRESNEAK View Post
    2,500.00 entry fee -vs- 19,000.00 entry fee

They may be sick, but still smiling all the way to the bank.
    $19k gets you in all categories. That's only about 3 grand or so a person. That's not that much if you think what a charter to the stream costs for one day, so just think that buys you 4-6 days of fishing the stream and a chance to win some big dough. I had two offers to fish it for less than $2500. If I wasn't in the mountains of W. Va this week, I would have. If a few of us would like to plan it for next year, I can put it together with a boat. Heck of an experience and just consider it your vacation for next summer.

I grew up eating Marlin.. My Grandpa on my Mom's side was a well known fisherman out of Newport Beach, CA. They didn't know what catch and release was.

We ate em smoked, made into fish dip, steaked and grilled, broiled.. whatever.

Blue sharks, Makos and Swordfish all got the same treatment...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    $19k gets you in all categories. That's only about 3 grand or so a person. That's not that much if you think what a charter to the stream costs for one day, so just think that buys you 4-6 days of fishing the stream and a chance to win some big dough. I had two offers to fish it for less than $2500. If I wasn't in the mountains of W. Va this week, I would have. If a few of us would like to plan it for next year, I can put it together with a boat. Heck of an experience and just consider it your vacation for next summer.
    That's the entry fee. What about the actual cost of the fishing?

You still have to figure in all of the fuel/bait/food/Captain/Mates/misc that you would on a regular charter X4 days of fishing on top of the $19k entry fee...

When I lived in Hatteras Village, they sold "smoked Marlin" in sticks like beef jerky at the bait store in the marina.
    How was it? We used to get a hunk from a guy in Georgetown smoked every year. Good stuff. Like Nitro said, catch and release hadn't been thought of. I have some pictures that would freak people out of dead billfish hanging off the board every afternoon at Gulfstream Marina.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    How was it? We used to get a hunk from a guy in Georgetown smoked every year. Good stuff. Like Nitro said, catch and release hadn't been thought of. I have some pictures that would freak people out of dead billfish hanging off the board every afternoon at Gulfstream Marina.

Still got the original album at the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I dunno, but being a good duck hunter and shooting woodducks have nothing in common.

You know any real good dove hunters?

Fun as hell, but.....

It would be 26k to fish my boat.

That's all fees, 4 fish days and 2 pre days, up to NC and back, dockage, rooms, bait, etc.

No captain or mate fees

Lil 2 Sleepy, what's your boat?

What is the Captain and mates cut of the winnings?

How many anglers per boat?

*2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

"The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    Lil 2 Sleepy, what's your boat?

What is the Captain and mates cut of the winnings?

How many anglers per boat?

I'd like to more about Lil 2 Sleepy myself.

Where are you out of? What kind of boat do you have? Are you an owner or capt? Ditto the other questions.

Capt. Rene Cathou used to have smoked marlin, sword and sturgeon available all the time. He was down by the old Gulf dock in G'town.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    I grew up eating Marlin.. My Grandpa on my Mom's side was a well known fisherman out of Newport Beach, CA. They didn't know what catch and release was.

We ate em smoked, made into fish dip, steaked and grilled, broiled.. whatever.

Blue sharks, Makos and Swordfish all got the same treatment...
    You forgot Threshers.

We lived 2 blocks from 22nd street landing in Pedro.

Was the highlight of the weekend when our neighbor would call my dad and we would hop in the car with a cooler. He always had swords/marlin or shark to give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    That's the entry fee. What about the actual cost of the fishing?
    Gas bait and ice would be split each day. Not as bad as you think with 5 or 6 people. Another $100-$150 a day per person with the guys I have.

I remember it being very "strong" tasting, I actually remember the fish tasting pretty good but thought they had too much smoke in it.

There is nothing wrong with keeping fish with beaks on them. People just don't know any better.
    Last edited by Ghetto; 06-12-2014 at 08:45 PM.

LOL!!

Grandpa didn't think much of most sharks..

I own his nickeled Winchester 94 in 32 Win Special.. It was the "Shark gun"...Statue of limitations has run, so...... we didn't land many sharks, but killed plenty.

I don't get to go as much as I would like, but I still love Blue Water fishing...

I remember when I was 9 , we left Davey's Locker in Newport and headed South to Mexico in chase of Albacore... We ended the trip in Cabo. My Grandpa sold fish for fuel $$ to get home...

My Grandpa, his best friend John Ables, my brother Mike and me.... we had crackers, hoop cheese, bottled 7-Up, Jack Daniels, Coors beer and a cooler with some cold cuts.. that was about it from the food standpoint. Not a bottle of water or a Yeti cooler in sight. We cooked our meals on an ancient 3 burner Coleman stove...

We caught so many fish it would blow your mind.. my Mom and Dad were shitting, thinking we were either dead or lost at sea.

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    You forgot Threshers.

We lived 2 blocks from 22nd street landing in Pedro.

Was the highlight of the weekend when our neighbor would call my dad and we would hop in the car with a cooler. He always had swords/marlin or shark to give up.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.