Thread: Broadhead question for crossbow hunters

Default Broadhead question for crossbow hunters

I have been bowhunting for better part of 30 years and have taken my share of deer with all types of broadheads, hell I even used the old punchcutters that I believe were the first mechanical blades

I have been using Rage for last 6-7 yrs and never lost a deer but to be honest never overly impressed with blood trails but they work.

I know NOTHING about crossbows but buddy of mine has 2 young boys and he bought crossbows for Christmas and they are pretty good shots with them.

He asked me about broadheads (he knows NOTHING about archery equipment at all) and I told him what I used.

Any way he has neat set up behind his house with deer coming to corn like clock work and in last week both boys have shot bucks but lost them. (Both boys have killed several deer each with guns, bucks & does). He was in stand both times and it sounded like first one hit shoulder bone, he said he heard a loud "smack". I can see this one not being fatal

The younger one made a pretty good shot a few days later on another buck and he called me and they ate supper and let deer lay down. While tracking they jumped it twice and found big puddle of blood each time but not a very good blood trail

They reluctantly backed off that night and went back next am with no luck

My question is what type of blade do those that use crossbows like, mechanical or fixed.

I realize a good shot it should not matter but he tells me second shot was pretty good

I did give him the typical bowhunting advice of making sure of when shooting of thinking of exit spot more than entry spot and to make sure they shoot BEHIND the should instead of typical gun shot to shoulder shot

He is a very experinced and patient hunter as are his boys, both are very mature for their ages

Naturally he and boys feel bad about wounding deer and loosing them, boys feel awful about it

Again I have NOT A CLUE about a crossbow(he knows my thoughts on crossbows too LOL )

Slick tricks. They don't go far.

I shoot slick trick xbow 100 gr.

I think they are identical to the slick trick magnums......with different packaging.

the boys need to spend time on the range, understand the anatomy of the deer, understand correct shot placement and for god sakes make sure the crossbow is sighted in.
    \"Go to Know\"

If hit in the shoulder its gonna kill the deer. And i take the saying "pretty good shot" with a grain of salt cause ive seen hunters on tv shoot a broadside deer closer to the ass than the shoulder side of his body and say that they "smoked him" or "made a pretty good shot."

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    the boys need to spend time on the range, understand the anatomy of the deer, understand correct shot placement and for god sakes make sure the crossbow is sighted in.

Trust me they shoot all the time and are good shots and they understand the deer anatomy, just not 100% sure they understand the "philosophy" of a bow kill.

Crossbows are sighted in properly that I can attest to

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    Slick tricks. They don't go far.

I have never used them but do hear anyone that has swear by slick tricks

As I said I have not had problems with Rage but have not been overly impressed with them

How well do fixed blades shoot out of a crossbow, I always loved Muzzy's

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post

The Dad read this last night and said to let you know that your wife use to keep his boys some and can verify they can shoot LOL (the Dove boys)