Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tater farm threatening the Edisto River

Default Tater farm threatening the Edisto River

NO, Clemson is not building a satellite campus.

Here is a link of what is going on in my neck of the woods. http://www.thestate.com/2013/12/10/3...-concerns.html

http://www.edistofriends.org/

and a link https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzoe.../preview?pli=1 to the current construction of their irrigation canal . If you have property along the Edisto River , you may want to check into this .
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. -

I prefer liberty with danger, to peace with slavery.

It wouldn't bother me so much if the State didn't have such a conniption every time a private landowner tries to improve wetlands to encourage waterfowl to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by buckfarmer View Post
    It wouldn't bother me so much if the State didn't have such a conniption every time a private landowner tries to improve wetlands to encourage waterfowl to use them.
    These aren't improvements, their actions may very well destroy or do some serious harm to the surrounding wetlands .

Didn't we have a valid discussion about this the other day?
    "It's a numbers game" - Mac Owen
    Endangered: Farmers, Watermen, and Rural Life

Quote Originally Posted by sc high tide View Post
    Didn't we have a valid discussion about this the other day?

The op posted a reply and I gave a response. If you look at my original post , it was created several days earlier than the thread in the " current events" .

Taters gotta have water too.

Fuck each and every one of you liberal anti farming cocksuckers who are stupid enough to buy into these bullshit scare tactics.

Well? I will allow you to retort...

Water dammit.

deys gonna suck all da redbreastess out da rivva. whats i gone eat on sunday evenins?

tators

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post

So you think the .gov is there to protect us and our resources ?....

If this was taking place on your beloved Wateree, would you not have a concern or would you just blindly follow the status quo ?
    We don't have the luxury of a reservoir that can just dump large volumes of water to keep the flow numbers up. All we can do is rely on God to give us rain and hope people use common sense.
    As this issue progresses, more and more people along with farmers and other land owners are voicing their displeasure with what is happening along the Edisto.
    I honestly thought that member's here would be dismayed at the idea that there could be potential devastation to a wetland which would effect the conditions of hunting and fishing on that river. Instead, you berate me and a few others because you think someone is Anti Farm.
    Last edited by Black Water; 01-11-2014 at 06:56 PM.

First of all I am of no means anti farm.

To my knowledge The Edisto River is the longest free flowing black river in the country. Just one or two years ago, due to drought conditions, salinity levels at Willtown where in the low 20 ppt (pure saltwater is 35 ppt). During that time many plantations and the refuge where delaying in flooding their fields to prevent killing most plants in the fields. On years of heavy rainfall there may not be an issue but obviously during drought the farm will use more water. I don't know if anyone knows what this decision will do to the S. Edisto River but I am afraid if could change this river system, both flora and fauna, for a long time if not permanently.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Fuck each and every one of you liberal anti farming cocksuckers who are stupid enough to buy into these bullshit scare tactics.
    So if one wanted to join the conservative non-cock sucking pro farming fraternity, what are the talking points we should be regurgitating?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    deys gonna suck all da redbreastess out da rivva. whats i gone eat on sunday evenins?
    The damned Flathead Catfish are doing that on our section of de Edislow....
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Ban the Flatheads!!!

Brought to you by - "Save de RedBressesses....."
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

So you buy into the half-cocked, under-the-table "study" DHEC put into this? I'd be willing to bet it's credibility wouldn't stand up to any type of scientific scrutiny.

Additionally, you support northern industrial ag companies coming down here and using our resources on a considerable scale while offering little to nothing in return?

Please explain your logic in labeling someone who is opposed to an ill-located, poorly studied, industrial operation from some outside entity that is taking a lot yet bringing nothing to the local area, a "liberal, anti farming, cocksucker"...

http://thetandd.com/business/potato-...a4bcf887a.html

Industrial ag, huh? I guess any small business that is incorporated or registered as an LLC is a part of big, bad corporate America. It is a large family farm, they have been successful at doing what most American businessowners strive to do and that is grow the business.
    cut\'em

E'ry body down stream takes issue with what e'ry body upstream does.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Black Water View Post
    So you think the .gov is there to protect us and our resources ?....

If this was taking place on your beloved Wateree, would you not have a concern or would you just blindly follow the status quo ?
    We don't have the luxury of a reservoir that can just dump large volumes of water to keep the flow numbers up. All we can do is rely on God to give us rain and hope people use common sense.
    As this issue progresses, more and more people along with farmers and other land owners are voicing their displeasure with what is happening along the Edisto.
    I honestly thought that member's here would be dismayed at the idea that there could be potential devastation to a wetland which would effect the conditions of hunting and fishing on that river. Instead, you berate me and a few others because you think someone is Anti Farm.
    What you will see on this site is that if jabo 3 had said, "Screw all you liberal profarming fags!", most of his minions would've lined up behind him on that stance, too.

In this situation, your government said it must be ok, so shut up and let them suck it up, which to me seems like the more liberal stance on this issue. We have a farm on the north fork so don't call me anti farming. I've read many opinions on this issue, and it seems like each side gleans what they want from the little bit of facts that are available. For the life if me, I can't figure how pulling millions of gallons from the Edisto river is gonna do me or any other south Carolinian any good except if they stand to benefit financially from the farm.