Thread: .17 Winchester Supermag

Default .17 Winchester Supermag

Me and Hydroman decided to try or luck with the yotes this morning. Started the call at 6:30 and within 2 minutes we had 6 come across the ridge at about 200yds, thought they were going to come on in but something spooked them. Changed up the call a little and had one big male come back across the ridge, but I didn't see him till it was too late. Switched back to some female howls and within a few minutes this female came over the ridge and stopped at 180yds. The .17wsm did work and dropped her on the spot. Prob one of the most memorable hunts I've had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    scducks c/o2010

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

very nice....how are u resting your rifle to make that type of shot? shooting stick or a blind rail or a steady knee? Just curious, I just starting playing with a shooting stick and aint quite got it figured out yet.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    very nice....how are u resting your rifle to make that type of shot? shooting stick or a blind rail or a steady knee? Just curious, I just starting playing with a shooting stick and aint quite got it figured out yet.

With this pod and your shoulder buried into the tree!

scducks c/o2010

I'm interested in buying an electronic predator call, but I can't make mind up on the one I want. I hear a lot of talk about the FoxPros but when I look at them, there are multiple models to choose from. Anybody have any recommendations?

I have a primos alpha dog, like the call, but the range of the remote isn't that great.

scducks c/o2010

Hydroman has an Icotec Gc300, for the money ($80)you can't beat that thing. You are limited to 16 sounds but the remote range is really good.

scducks c/o2010

Quote Originally Posted by duckjunkie85 View Post
    With this pod and your shoulder buried into the tree!

very nice, I got one from the old man's house that was a telescoping single and it seems like I could probably be more steady off hand than with that, the extra leg looks like the deal....thanks

also, in addition, you gotta put dead yote pics here if ya can
    http://scducks.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=coyote

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    very nice, I got one from the old man's house that was a telescoping single and it seems like I could probably be more steady off hand than with that, the extra leg looks like the deal....thanks
    Get a cheap camera tripod and modify it yourself. Scotchbrite and a can of camo paint.

I've used a Foxpro and have an AlphaDogg. I think the Primos remote has better range and is definitely easier to read. I love my AlphaDogg.

I have a monopod and it is only slightly better than no rest. I've found that I can position it so that it leans against my legs and it steadies it up considerably but it's still shaky when going for head shots on squirrels. I just ordered the Primos Triggerstick tripod and will report on how I like it after some field testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've used a Foxpro and have an AlphaDogg. I think the Primos remote has better range and is definitely easier to read. I love my AlphaDogg.

I have a monopod and it is only slightly better than no rest. I've found that I can position it so that it leans against my legs and it steadies it up considerably but it's still shaky when going for head shots on squirrels. I just ordered the Primos Triggerstick tripod and will report on how I like it after some field testing.

PB I have trouble with my remote losing signal some times, and so does my friends alpha. What kind of range does yours get?

scducks c/o2010

I've never used it more than 100 yards away and that was in a wide open field. Not really sure where it would start getting flakey. I use mine more for crow hunting than anything else.

How do you like the 17wsm? I love my 17hmr so the wsm is pretty intriguing to me. Is the wsm as same hole accurate as the hmr?

Good luck finding ammo for the wsm.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've never used it more than 100 yards away and that was in a wide open field. Not really sure where it would start getting flakey. I use mine more for crow hunting than anything else.

How do you like the 17wsm? I love my 17hmr so the wsm is pretty intriguing to me. Is the wsm as same hole accurate as the hmr?

I have only had it a week now, shot a 3/8" 5 shot group @100yds off the bench after I put the new stock on it. The factory stock on the Bmag was shitty as hell, I ordered a new one from Boyd's before I ever shot it. So far I like it, but the yote this morning was the only thing I have shot other than paper. As far as ammo I haven't had any trouble finding it.

scducks c/o2010

I was armed with buckshot... Man if they would have come in to the decoy, I would have piled em up. Oh well, plenty more for another day..

Is that coyote blood on your drawers, or are you in a bad mood this week?