Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: SCDNR Deer management meetings

and saying my family needs such-and-such a number of deer is silly. I have seen what some people do to a deer and is criminal. If you are really into this for health reasons and you want to make the most of a deer, you dont get snack sticks, bologna, summer sausage, etc. You debone the MEAT and eat it....whether its mixed with spices, fat, or just run through a cuber.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Ruth stated that the deer herd is pretty balanced and that numbers look pretty good.
    There is no good data on buck harvests.
    The concern is unchecked harvest continue as they have traditionally coupled with coyotes that continue to bring down recruitment....then, uh-oh!
    Houston we have a problem then everyone including the all knowing SRR is blaming Ruth and DNR!
    Imagine that....
    Last edited by Calibogue; 09-02-2015 at 12:10 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and saying my family needs such-and-such a number of deer is silly. I have seen what some people do to a deer and is criminal. If you are really into this for health reasons and you want to make the most of a deer, you dont get snack sticks, bologna, summer sausage, etc. You debone the MEAT and eat it....whether its mixed with spices, fat, or just run through a cuber.
    Didn't know if that was aimed at me, but we process our own. We have a cleaning shed with walk-in cooker. We cube, grind, even make our own summer sausage. Year before last we smoked 50 pounds of summer sausage. We try to not buy beef from the store at all. We also have people give us deer. My family prefers venison to beef

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    On the other forum, the AL DNR biologist said they had data before the limit that 4% of the hunters were killing 33% of the bucks. Im sure thats not far out of line in SC either.
    The SCDNR has similar stat from years of surveys but simple statistics are dismissed in SC.

One of the things I try to remember when talking to people or explaining something.

50% of people are below average intelligence.

Theres a pretty fair chance your audience is a dumbass and simply can't grasp what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

Did you ask how I process deer meat. NO You just like couple other clowns in here ASSUME YOU KNOW

Between deer burger, cube, and using burger to make sausage with only couple things added we eat deer instead of store bought beef. To many things added and we had to adjust our eating accordingly.

Now we raise a cow every year and process it ourselves so we do have steaks without all the added store bought nonsense.

So don't want u to think we are just hammering on deer cause we can.

You didn't hear me say anthing about wanting to kill any more than 8 or 9 deer a year. The assuming crew on here came up with those assumptions

Now back to the forum title. I am against tagging system as it is due to I shoot bucks and let does walk unless I see one that is crippled or looks to have something wrong with it (suffering)
    I hunt land that was over hunted and have been restocking this land for last 9 years by not shooting does and now 8 out of 10 times I go I have deer feeding in front of me.

If those people that have low deer numbers would quit shooting does as I have done they would have better deer herd numbers but they can't seem to do that on their own so want dnr/ gov to do it and ruin it for the ones that have a little sense about them.

Good on you but your statement holds no validity as to any reasoning to oppose a buck tag program!
    Unless of course you want to be able to shoot 8-9 bucks a season.
    Carry on...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Ruth stated that the deer herd is pretty balanced and that numbers look pretty good.
    There is no good data on buck harvests.
    The concern is unchecked harvest continue as they have traditionally coupled with coyotes that continue to bring down recruitment....then, uh-oh!
    Houston we have a problem then everyone including the all knowing SRR is blaming Ruth and DNR!
    Imagine that....
    Perhaps my reading comprehension is not all that great(I didn't score well in school in that area) but it appears to me that Ruth states in the article(see below for quote) that the numbers are fine and he also is factoring in coyotes. He also goes on to state we need to be particularly careful with managing the harvest of does.So where exactly is the problem that Houston is having other than putting in place a plan in which a hunter can kill the same number of bucks as does. That completely 100% contradicts what Ruth says. Not what SRR says but what Ruth says.

It has nothing to do with me blaming Ruth or being all knowing. I am simply reading two sets of statements published by Ruth and am trying to figure out which is correct. I am trying to figure out why all the "we have to have tags because Ruth said there is a problem" people are jumping on the band wagon with this, when for years (according to the article) Ruth has said there is NOT a problem.

"Ruth said that the past few years of harvest data do indicate the overall herd population is more balanced after several years of steady decline."
    "Ruth said these small up and down swings are within normal parameters for a balanced deer herd."
    “Beginning after 2002 the population has trended down until recently becoming more stabilized. The overall reduction in harvest seen since 2002 can likely be attributable to a number of factors, including habitat change.
    Ruth says there’s another piece to the deer population puzzle that now has to be figured into the equation: coyotes. He notes that coyotes are a recent addition to the landscape and are something biologists and hunters will have to deal with in the future.
    Given these results and the difficulty and high cost of coyote control, it seems apparent that making adjustments to how we manage deer, particularly female deer, is more important now than prior to the colonization of the state by coyotes.”
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

I think its relative. The deer herd IS healthy....but its not at the levels it was ten years ago and people miss that.

mdb--wasnt talking to you. I was talking to porkchop. I ASSumed he can find a way to eat 9 deer and a fucking cow a year. Maybe I ASSume he is really fat.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Unless of course you want to be able to shoot 8-9 bucks a season.
    Carry on...
    Pick me Pick me!!
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Piss up a rope!

Piss up a rope!
    Is this directed toward me?
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Caliboque did I not state I put 8 deer in freezer and I only shoot does if have to.

You people don't read and interpret nothing.

You would save yourself a lot of typing and mine drifting if you would read what is there.

You are prob one of those that don't see very many deer and think the populations are down.
    That thing on your shoulders is dead weight

Oh, I read your post just fine there porkchop!
    But I guess you told me huh....you're right, I don't see many deer cause the coyotes ate em all up and we shot all the does.
    I really hope DNR can fix this for me!!

Deer hunting is life...the rest is just details

Deer Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Is this directed toward me?
    Not unless you want it to be!
    PBiz......

I really like to deer hunt, but it is getting almost as gay as duck hunting with all the nerds and "biologists" hitting the woods in the last few years.

Piss up a rope!
    How much rope you got?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213