Thread: Force Fetch - ear pinch

Default Force Fetch - ear pinch

I have gotten through the hold part with no problems, but I have moved on to the fetch part. Pup is responding to the negative reinforcement of pinching the ear on "fetch". But what I dont understand she might occasionally duck her head, but her tail will still wag during this sometimes. This makes me think I am not causing much discomfort when pinching her ear.

Is there a certain spot that is more sensative than others?

Quote Originally Posted by 803 View Post

Is there a certain spot that is more sensative than others?

Her toe.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    Her toe.

Thats what I did for the beginning parts, but it is harder for the dog to reached down or to the side if I am pulling at her toes to pinch them together

Quote Originally Posted by 803 View Post
    Thats what I did for the beginning parts, but it is harder for the dog to reached down or to the side if I am pulling at her toes to pinch them together
    Use a string.

My Boykin is extremely soft, but I swear she has no nerve endings in her ears. I got cramps in my thumb trying to pinch her ear against the collar. She didn't notice.

Pinched toes got her attention with a quickness.

Are you using a table?
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Are you pinching the ear on the buckle part of the collar?

Evan Graham has a couple of FF videos on youtube that are helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

A dogs tail will wag during numerous emotions, doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't hurt. As long as you get the desired result, you're getting the point across and I wouldn't worry about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Smartfetch DVD best out there. I used the end of a spent shell. The brass end and got it right on the edge and used my thumb to press down right on that ridge worked for me.

Default Ear pinch

I use to use the brass end of a used shotgun shell and hold it between your thumb and ear to get a little more reaction

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    Use a string.

My Boykin is extremely soft, but I swear she has no nerve endings in her ears. I got cramps in my thumb trying to pinch her ear against the collar. She didn't notice.

Pinched toes got her attention with a quickness.

Are you using a table?
    Yeah I am using a table with a wire running across top to hook leash to.

Why on earth would you use the ear pinch method when its so much easier to just use a string?

Try taking a 3' long piece of heavy string and wrap it around two of the dogs toes, go up around the ankle with a clove hitch and hold the tag end in your left hand. With the dog secured from above with a pole or a tight cable, pull the string and the dog will try to lower his head and open his mouth in an attempt to get down to his foot. Have your gloved hand or bumper ready to put in his mouth. Release the pressure on the string as soon as its in his mouth.

If it was me, I would start with the gloved hand for a few days or until he's cool with this program, followed by a bumper for a few weeks, and then on to a real bird if available. When the dog is good with this arrangement, take him into the field and begin walking-electric fetch and then on to fetching to a pile. When you get him to the pile, you can vary your position and begin laying the basics for casting, which in my mind is one of the ultimate goals.

If you want a good step by step book on how to force fetch, shoot me a PM.
    Last edited by Fish; 12-02-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling

If you are going to use an ear pinch, put a small bolt in one of the collar holes, it is easier than the buckle.