Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elk hunts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Havent gotten that far yet as to when I'm hunting but Im jacked up like a $5 crack whore with $100 in her pocket.

Total Individual Applicants: 34,001
    In State Applicants: 21,717
    Out of State Applicants: 12,284

Total 2015 Elk Tags: 910
    In State: 819
    Out of State: 91

Total Applications: 70,348
    In State Applications: 45,156
    Out of State Applications: 25,192

Time to start doing my research and homework to find out what area is sucessful and when a good time to go is.
    .003% chance of scoring an out of state tag! I'd say go buy a lottery ticket my friend.

Chuck, your a lucky sumbeech. I have put in almost every year since it opened! The biologist out there are a great group be sure to pick their brains.

I have done a couple of guided hunts out west mainly in Co, Mt and NM and 3 DIY in Colorado. Colorado is the place to be, but its kind of like duck hunting here in SC. You have to get off the beaten path period. Someone posted get in shape, dang skippy there. Ray Milligan, Milligan Brand Outfitters puts more dead Elk on the ground than anyone else but his service is more like a fish camp type deal but he does have the ground and has the Elk period.
    Genesis 9;2

So I just checked the Kentucky website again because I put in for one of the limited entry areas and results would be posted no later than July 17.

Only 15 or 16 archery tags were given out for this area.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

That is awesome! Do it right, I imagine it will be a hunt of a lifetime.

Got a statewide any bull tag for Utah. I'm pumped.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    That is freakin awesome. I hope you whack a nice one. Utah should be awesome to hunt. I imagine they have plenty of state or federal land to explore.

It's pretty country, minus the amount of hunters.

That is awesome!!! I'm headed out to Salt Lake at the end of August for a week for work. I'm going to get out there at some point to do some hunting

Quote Originally Posted by SCcdp View Post
    That is awesome!!! I'm headed out to Salt Lake at the end of August for a week for work. I'm going to get out there at some point to do some hunting
    There are still tags left...you can hunt 10 miles from downtown. I just moved here a few weeks ago. Been seeing deer and elk every weekend.

Awesome to hear you guys are drawing tags. Chuck enjoy that hunt as I have heard there are some big bulls around that area.

The man who taught me to elk hunt was diagnosed with Lou Gehirg's disease just recently so a word of wisdom is to do bucket list hunts as soon as you can in life.

There are still tags left...you can hunt 10 miles from downtown. I just moved here a few weeks ago. Been seeing deer and elk every weekend.
    Wow. I think I'll have to give that some serious thought for next year. We got drawn for combo elk/mule deer tags in MT this year so we're hoping for some success up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Just checked and got me an archery bull tag in Kentucky.
    Damn, man, that is outstanding. Good luck to you. Don't leave any stone unturned with the prep on this one because you wont get this opportunity many times in life. Don't know much about Kentucky elk hunting but if there's anything I can do to help, please shout.

Utah...I have about 10 points now and should get to hunt there in the next 5 years or so in a decent unit.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

If a person were to go with a guide using horses, how much walking is involved? I need to get off my fat ass and get in shape for one of these hunts and soon!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

You plan on being there next season as well? If so let me know. I'm booked out more than I should this season. Next, I want to go!! What are the dates? Keep me posted seriously if you are willing/able.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    If a person were to go with a guide using horses, how much walking is involved? I need to get off my fat ass and get in shape for one of these hunts and soon!
    A lot!! I've been on 2 elk hunts. 1 in Colorado and 1 Idaho. Both I lost 1 inch off my waist when it was over. Couldn't take the horses but so far each morning, then you hiked about an hour straight up!

PS, I still have not killed an elk yet........

Damn, I got a long way to go!! Might stick to chasing whitetails on flatland.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    You plan on being there next season as well? If so let me know. I'm booked out more than I should this season. Next, I want to go!! What are the dates? Keep me posted seriously if you are willing/able.
    I plan on being here 3 years minimum, it was a work move. We will see how the duck hunting is....