Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something from above

Default Something from above

Well, I wasn't going to post this, as I figured most would just flame me anyhow. Maybe with a little back story, I won't take as big a hit. My father was killed by a drunk driver September 6th, walking from his treestand to his truck, which was a Tuesday. I helped him put that stand up monday. This has been, the roughest time in my life. I've gone through my fair share, as most of you have. The what ifs are there, but I'm glad I got to spend that last day with him. I'm not a real emotional fella, but going back to that stand was the best thing I could have done, as it broke me down seeing the fresh branches we broke, fresh tire marks, the whole experience. Now, as a young man, all the old timers always had a fox squirrel mounted. I always wanted one. I JUST went to my cousins house, saw the one he mounted, had a conversation saying how all the time I've spent in the woods, I've never seen one. I've only seen one in my life, crossing the road with my wife couple years back, I turned around just to get a good look at it/have the experience with her. After Hurricane matthew I guess it pushed this guy out, he was in my back yard, headed to the front. Didn't even get to hunt him, saw him by chance through a side window I never look out. Shot him off the front porch, kind of a gay hunting story but that's how it played out. It's a hell of a Squirrel, I'm proud of it, proud to have it as a trophy. My father would be bitching I shot it. I'd do it again. I kind of think he sent it to me. =D

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Sorry if I look like I haven't showered in two days, as I hadn't at that point, didn't have power for almost 4 days ha
    Just give me a good Killin, pine island.
    Last edited by vdubbinya; 10-12-2016 at 02:36 AM.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your father.

Get the squirrel mounted on a piece of limb you and your daddy cut down near that stand!
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Loss of words. Sorry to hear about the loss of your father.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Sorry about your dad

Sorry for your loss.

Sorry man, good looking squirrel.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Rock on buddy! Sorry for your loss
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

So Sorry to hear about your father. I had no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

So sorry for your loss buddy. I believe we are given "signs" from our loved ones who are smiling down on us, that fox squirrel must be one for you!

Hug those younguns and enjoy every moment you can with them. Life it too short.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Sorry for your loss.

That is for sure a trophy squirrel.

I had heard about the passing of your dad, and I hated it. Sorry you and your family had to go through this. Good killing on the squirrel and keep your head up.

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post

Get the squirrel mounted on a piece of limb you and your daddy cut down near that stand!
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post

sorry for your loss
    This is a great idea

Prayers up for you and your family. Good looking squirrel.

Appreciate the thoughts/prayers. I've been trying to not let this beat me, in many ways. It has done a number on my "drive" to go get in the stand. Not my love for the outdoors, just my want to do anything, really. Hard to explain. I think it's depression as much as I hate to think that. Me and my father didn't always agree, see eye to eye, but we loved each other. He wasn't perfect, and hell neither am I, but you only get one dad, and I loved mine. Still coming to terms with everything. If any of you have any suggestions for taxidermist, please be my guest, price is no concern, but do want good work.
    And yes, very good idea about the oak! Can I just cut any limb and it'll work, does it need to be kiln-dried or anything?
    Last edited by vdubbinya; 10-12-2016 at 07:35 AM.

I know exactly how you feel.

Just make sure you don't make the same mistakes your daddy did and don't let those little girls forget their grandad.

Cool squirrel. Do what JP said.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Sorry for your loss.

Good shootn!

I was suggested to use Dennis Stratton in Gaston for a fox squirrel I killed. $100, a fox squirrel, and 6 years later, that sorry ass won't return calls or answer his door.

Sorry for your loss.

Squatty,

How much will Shane charge to mount this squirrel? Let us know and we will raise and send $ to you so you can transport and get this mounted for this young man's memories.

God's blessings to you and your family over your loss.

Sorry for your loss man. Very neat story. A taxidermist I used to get mine mounted is Barry Shealy with Hook and Hoof Taxidermy. A fine fella and a helluva taxidermist.