Thread: Got a Question...

Default Got a Question...

Can I, being a resident of SC, buy a gun at a gun store in GA?? I know I could have it transferred, but I mean while I'm there, will I be able to buy it and bring it home?? Anybody know??
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Can I, being a resident of SC, buy a gun at a gun store in GA?? I know I could have it transferred, but I mean while I'm there, will I be able to buy it and bring it home?? Anybody know??
    Long gun, you can.

Pistol, there will most likely be a hold, even with a CWP if I remember correctly.

I bought a long gun online when I moved to GA. Found a guy through the FFL finder that was close by. We did the paper work, I gave him the money and walked out. I was still a SC resident at the time.

He told me that it wouldn't be that easy if I bought a pistol.
    Last edited by carolinaboy06; 10-24-2016 at 11:24 AM.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

You can, just not a pistol. That goes for an AR lower also because it can be made into a pistol

Long guns only

Thanks, yall. That's what I thought.

FYI: I have purchased a stripped AR lower out of state with no problems.
    As mentioned long guns are ok, pistols you may be able to buy them but the owner would have to ship to your in-state ffl.

I live in North Augusta and had a lower shipped to a place in Augusta. ATF wouldn't do the transfer because it could be turned into a pistol. May be a way around that

When a lower is sold, the 1043 has a place to state whether it is a rifle, or pistol. At this point of origin, the weapon is designated as what it is to be for the life of it.

You can turn a pistol lower into a rifle, but you can't do it the other way around.

If you buy a lower from a bordering state, they can originate it as a rifle, and sell it to you...as they'll essentially be selling a rifle.

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    When a lower is sold, the 1043 has a place to state whether it is a rifle, or pistol. At this point of origin, the weapon is designated as what it is to be for the life of it.

You can turn a pistol lower into a rifle, but you can't do it the other way around.

If you buy a lower from a bordering state, they can originate it as a rifle, and sell it to you...as they'll essentially be selling a rifle.

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.
    So, if they mark the lowers as "rifle" instead of "other" (as they do here), they can sell them to me in GA?? That makes sense...if I'm understanding you correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    So, if they mark the lowers as "rifle" instead of "other" (as they do here), they can sell them to me in GA?? That makes sense...if I'm understanding you correctly.
    If, on the form, they mark it as a rifle, then there should be no "gray area". It is being "born" as a rifle, and shall live its life as such.

I've never heard otherwise; yet I've been wrong once a time or two before.