Thread: Anyone gone from Lake Moultrie to Charleston Harbor?

Default Anyone gone from Lake Moultrie to Charleston Harbor?

My buddies and I are looking to cruise down from around Lake Moultrie to Charleston this weekend and I was going to see what the best ramp is to put in and about how long it takes and how much a slip cost for the night in Charleston?

Great trip... I def. recommend!

We put in at the bottom of Moultrie... real close to the locks.

I can't remember if it cost us anything at all to park at the docks, but I was pretty hammered when we got there...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

We usually do it once a summer, but we leave from Eutawville. It is a nice trip, bring plenty of brewskies. Can't remember how long it takes from Moultrie, but it is not that bad. Stay in the channel and don't get to close to the Naval Weapons station.

We have rented a slip at the Charleston Marina the last couple times, it is fairly cheap.

Many Scumter folk put in on Marion and ride down, stay in Charleston and come back the next day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

great trip hope to do it again next summer in new boat

Make sure that they don't have more than 1 navy ship tied up at one time. I was told that if they do, the Cooper will be closed to all traffic for a while, a couple of days or so. This is second hand info so I would probably call the Harbor Master and check it out.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

tow, let me know when ya'll go again, might take the new Key west.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post

We all should get together and do a group trip. And maybe do a campout type thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by ProvidenceSwamper View Post
    We usually do it once a summer, but we leave from Eutawville. It is a nice trip, bring plenty of brewskies. Can't remember how long it takes from Moultrie, but it is not that bad. Stay in the channel and don't get to close to the Naval Weapons station.

We have rented a slip at the Charleston Marina the last couple times, it is fairly cheap.
    From the Bottom of the Canal to Pinopolos Point takes about 9 minutes and a bunch of fuel. lane:
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

From marion to charleston is about 80 miles, so depending on where in moultrie you put in is how far. You can make the trip as long as you want, I would plan on 2-3 hours from moultrie.

Charleston Marina (place by yorktown) charges per foot, and a minium around $30 or so if you are staying there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    if i go it will be wth your cuz we know how to have fun

Done it from Marion to Charleston and back the next day. Great Trip. Brother in law went from Marion to Charleston to Beaufort, said they had a great time on the way down there but getting back wore them out.

Some years ago we did the trip from Beaufort to Charleston to Lake Marion. The party at the locks was a hoot. Kinda like sandbar parties here. Spent the night in Charleston both ways but I can't remember the marina but there was a hotel right at the marina and it was by the CG Station.
    Have had folks make that trip down here for the Water Festival.