Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vets that can certify hips and elbows.

Island Hunter,

Patrick Vet Clinic (specifically Matthew Patrick) was the vet who took care of my pup through her seizures. First class operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

They have always been great to us. Started using them 2yrs ago when our vet had some health problems.

Uh. You aren't going to like what you hear from OFA about that film there. Try it again when she goes out of heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Hunter View Post

Here is the better shot out of the two that the vet gave us.

Go to Chuck Hewitt in Florence. It is actually better to do x rays without sedation so that muscles aren't so relaxed that the joint comes out of the socket, etc. Chuck will explain everything very well and better than I could dream to. He will get you the best x-ray for best price and its worth the drive.
    "Preach the Gospel everyday; if necessary, use words."

From OFA's website. FYI...

The OFA's Hip Radiograph Procedures

General Overview

Radiographs submitted to the OFA should follow the American Veterinary Medical Association recommendations for positioning. This view is accepted world wide for detection and assessment of hip joint irregularities and secondary arthritic hip joint changes. To obtain this view, the animal must be placed on its back in dorsal recumbency with the rear limbs extended and parallel to each other. The knees (stifles) are rotated internally and the pelvis is symmetric. Chemical restraint (anesthesia) to the point of relaxation is recommended. For elbows, the animal is placed on its side and the respective elbow is placed in an extreme flexed position.
    The radiograph film must be permanently identified with the animal's registration number or name, date the radiograph was taken, and the veterinarian's name or hospital name. If this required information is illegible or missing, the OFA cannot accept the film for registration purposes. The owner should complete and sign the OFA application. It is important to record on the OFA application the animal's tattoo or microchip number in order for the OFA to submit results to the AKC. Sire and dam information should also be present.

Thanks for the responses. I am gonna hold off on the off and will make the drive. Do they look displattic or just loose. She is 4 if that matters. Thanks again.

Get a dachshund. They think they're labradors & act like the baddest s.o.b. on the block.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Had a friend that had a couple. They acted like some badasses. One went after a coyote, got picked up and shook by coyote, coyote dropped it and it went back for more. That dog is no longer with us, but could follow a bloodtrail.

OFA does take age into consideration. Not a vet, but less than 50% of the head in the socket, reshoot, I think they recommend 2 months after the cycle...check the website. Even if they don't pass, won't hinder her for hunting, just wouldn't breed her. I had one that was rated moderately dysplastic , at 7 1/2, you'd never know, would do a 6'+ vertical jump, just didn't know he could go over
    www.cedarswampretrievers.com
    Labrador Retriever Puppies and Retriever Training
    Standing at stud:
    Cedar Swamp's Born to Boogie QAA (yellow)
    Young's Trump Card at Cedar Swamp QAA (black carries chocolate)
    Some of the "ladies":
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror SH