Thread: Lake Murry advice needed

Default Lake Murry advice needed

I have never been to Lake Murry.

I have access to a pontoon boat for a few days. No depth finder etc. Just a motor a boat and an anchor. No live well so can't use live bait.

I don't give a damn about catching a bass. Help me put my wife on a catfish or rockfish. Cut bait and bottom fish? If it helps, the only landmark I know about is we will be close to boat landing nmber 3.

An advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Good luck fishing anywhere with all the weekend/Holliday yahoo's that will out in full force. Grew up and lived there for 40 years and do not miss today's Murray at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Get a dozen or so herring and use cut bait on the bottom near points and the the edge of the channels. You should catch some catfish and rockfish. I would go down the lake from ramp 3 and fish around the spence islands, goat island, Susie ebert, and maybe all the islands outside of Larry Koon landing towards hollow creek.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

I forgot to add that I would fish at night. No way in hell I would try it during the day this weekend.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Good luck fishing anywhere with all the weekend/Holliday yahoo's that will out in full force. Grew up and lived there for 40 years and do not miss today's Murray at all.
    This
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by SNAP Hunter View Post
    Get a dozen or so herring and use cut bait on the bottom near points and the the edge of the channels. You should catch some catfish and rockfish. I would go down the lake from ramp 3 and fish around the spence islands, goat island, Susie ebert, and maybe all the islands outside of Larry Koon landing towards hollow creek.
    Solid advice. 99% of my fishing on Murray anymore is after dark or within an hour of sunset or sunrise in light.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

No way I would be on the water after dark this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Good luck fishing anywhere with all the weekend/Holliday yahoo's that will out in full force.
    X2. It will be a mad house, night included.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    No way I would be on the water after dark this weekend...
    No kiddin, WhalerDave came by after work to deliver a MUCH needed seat for the wife early and we sat on the porch and just watched. What part you on? Upper or Lower and GOOD LUCK
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Cut bait 30 foot humps near deep water in the big pool

"Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Lake Murray can be a shit show for sure. Lots of fools running high powered boats and it can be very dangerous at night.
    But it is still a beautiful lake and safe enough if you are a prudent boater. If you're going to fish at night keep your head on a swivel and the brightest spot light you can get on the dash ready to shine off any yahoo coming your way.
    If your fishing out of the Larry Koon boat ramp, heading out of that cove towards big water stay on the left side shoreline and take a left when you hit big water. Once you clear the point run NW for about 1 mile and you will see the first of several islands. You should be able to figure it out from there.

Carolina rigs with cut herring would be my first choice but if you can catch some small bream I'd put one or two of them out also.

Consider downloading a Navionics app on your phone. Great for reading contours and finding humps to fish without a depth finder, as well as navigating at night. You can get turned around on Murray at night.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Getting off the lake now. Put in at 4:45 this morning and it was perfect in by 9 o'clock it was a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    ...... navigating at night. You can get turned around on Murray at night.
    If you don't use navionics use Google map app which is on most phones these days
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Getting off the lake now. Put in at 4:45 this morning and it was perfect in by 9 o'clock it was a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caught 5, surprisingly not much boat traffic in the coves I hopped early on. Jet skis and tubers began at 10am so I left. Marked most fish 25-35ft deep in 40-40ft of water

See what yall mean. Decided to sleep in and just boat ride today while the wife worked on her tan. Think I'll fish off the dock except early mornings. Looks like the fresh water version of myrtle Beach right now
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Caught 5, surprisingly not much boat traffic in the coves I hopped early on. Jet skis and tubers began at 10am so I left. Marked most fish 25-35ft deep in 40-40ft of water
    It got crazy just after 10. From six to ten I was thinking it would be a good day.
    Last edited by JayhawkLee; 05-28-2016 at 06:48 PM.
    R.I.P SFC Spencer Kohlheim.
    Suicide is never a good thing but I understand.
    Thank you for your service to our nation.