Thread: Mepps Needs Squirrel Tails

Default Mepps Needs Squirrel Tails

Attention squirrel hunters: Mepps needs squirrel tails to create hand-tied, dressed hooks for its lures.
    “We’ve tried hundreds of other natural and synthetic materials; bear hair, fox, coyote, badger, skunk, deer, even Angus cow, but nothing works as well as squirrel tail hair,” explained Mepps communications director Kurt Mazurek.
    The fact is squirrel tails are all hair – no fur. Practically all other animals have fur tails with just a few guard hairs. Fur doesn’t have the rippling, pulsating movement of squirrel hair in the water.
    Squirrels are a plentiful natural resource. Plus, squirrel is some of the best wild meat and
    their skins are used for caps, coats, glove linings and many other items, but the tail is usually thrown away. Mepps is asking squirrel hunters to help them recycle this valuable resource and hunters will be paid for their efforts.
    Mepps buys fox, black, grey and red squirrel tails and will pay up to 26 cents each, depending on quality and quantity. Plus, the cash value is doubled if the tails are traded for Mepps lures.
    “We do not advocate harvesting of squirrels solely for their tails,” Mazurek said
    For full details on the squirrel tail program, go to Fishing Lures - Buy Lures and Fishing Accessories | Mepps or call (800) 713-3474. Please note: Squirrel tails cannot be sold in California, Idaho and Oregon.

Read more: BassFan — bass fishing news, tips, tournament coverage

16 bucks for 100 squirrel tails ain't much of an offer

Mepps lures ain't all that expensive anyway. I would not expect a whole lot in return.

I remember Mepps taking squirrel tails forty years ago when I was a boy. Pretty cool they are still using them,

I had a box full to send to them and apparently my dogs wanted them more than anyone else.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

They are hard to part with, the kids love playing with em
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Cabelas is getting $4.29 each.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Cabelas is getting $4.29 each.
    For the lure, I assume. If they'd pay that for the tail I'd have two dozen up there this afternoon!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Fly tying section.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles