Thread: Rental property owners (active military)

Default Rental property owners (active military)

Does anyone here, that is active military, own rental property in SC? Nikki Haley signed this bill stating that active military members can maintain the 4% assessment. Have any of you had any experience with this? I am curious to hear feedback on how difficult it is to get the local tax office to adjust the tax bill.

http://coladaily.com/2014/03/14/gov-...ners-tax-bill/
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

You need to enlist.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Just go to local government office and fill out the paperwork, or if county has it online, print and mail it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    Just go to local government office and fill out the paperwork, or if county has it online, print and mail it.

All you have to do

Dorchester County Assessor will probably try to resist it. I've had to jump through hoops to get agricultural exemptions on property that was clearly eligible. They have a default deny rule that you have to overwhelm with paperwork and documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Dorchester County Assessor will probably try to resist it. I've had to jump through hoops to get agricultural exemptions on property that was clearly eligible. They have a default deny rule that you have to overwhelm with paperwork and documentation.
    PB,
    I have had dealings with the tax office regarding the ag exemptions. They dont play around. They came back each year to make sure the pine trees that were planted for the exemption were still there.

I have a property management company in the charleston area, so I deal with properties in Charleston, Dorchester, and Berkeley Counties. I also have some military owners. The 6% tax rate for investment/second homes is the biggest scam in the history of taxation, but I wont get off subject. I truly hope that getting the 4% tax rate for active military is as easy as some of you say it is. They deserve it.

The problem is that the tax law is big money for local government. Realizing this, they don't want to see their cash cows change brackets. Kind of hard to argue against that an individual isn't active military, if they have proof.

You have my attention. I still own my house in Moncks Corner, and since it's not my primary residence, berkeley county charges me out the ass because it's a rental property. I would love nothing more then to sell it but I'm not eating a 50,000 dollar lost. I'm going to check into this, and thanks for the heads up.

Please keep me posted how it turns out.

I'm not surprised, but I think it's pretty shitty that the tax departments have not made the members of our military aware of this new law. Maybe they have, and the members didnt read the notice, but some how I doubt that is the case.