Thread: Merriams

Default Merriams

I'm trying to plan a hunt for a Merriam this coming May. Looks like I may choose Wyoming or SD. For those of you that have been to either state, did you hunt with an outfitter or public land? Which state would you choose? Feel free to pm me.
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

I have not hunted either so I cannot offer personal experiences but I have had several friends go. From what I understand, the black hills have been crushed with harsh winters the past few years. If I was going to SD I would find an Indian reservation and go from there.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Been to SD three of the last four year, would have been four of four except for 25 inches of snow on the ground day of departure. Hunted public as well as private. Find you a small cafe where the "liars" club eats breakfast in the morning and wear camo. Buy them a round of coffee and they will ask why you are there. Let them know you are only there for a few days trying to kill one of those corn eating buzzards and you might get lucky. Worked for us. We hunted west of Rapid City, there is LOTS of good public land also.

I have a good friend that lives in SD. When I went I hunted with him on Private land. I killed my 1st bird not an hour after landing. It was private land that I paid a "trespass fee" to hunt.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Go do both. With 5 days of hunting and a travel day on either side WY and SD are easily accomplished.

The Black Hills district is gorgeous. I think you have to get a permit ( online app), the areas around Hill City is where I would focus.

WY is a one bird license - over the counter. Lots of beautiful places to hunt. Access can be gained by calling around or door knocking.

Know this - Mt. Rushmore and Devil's Tower make for some great backdrops for a dead Merriams photo.

Fly to Rapid City, rent a vehicle and scout. The Merriams has become my favorite Turkey to hunt and kill. Some of the most beautiful places I have ever hunted are out West. Late April or early May for your best chance at decent weather and by then the birds are usually split up into breeding flocks with lots of satellite Gobblers to pick off.

It's an enjoyable adventure.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Know this - Mt. Rushmore and Devil's Tower make for some great backdrops for a dead Merriams photo.
    You don't say.....

You've got one life. Blaze on!

In that neighborhood you could kill a bird in MT as well and get 3 birds in 3 states.

WW I got your PM and will respond when I find a computer.
    cut\'em

Thanks for the info fellas! I hear that the snow has beat up the black hills pretty good the last couple of years...which is another reason to go mid May.
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

I know a guy that lives further south that might be willing to help out.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I may also know someone that lives in Montana that might have access to some Merriam's. When you get everything lined up, let me know and I may take you up on your offer.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    I know a guy that lives further south that might be willing to help out.
    Right on! May have to hit you up!

Quote Originally Posted by HT View Post
    I may also know someone that lives in Montana that might have access to some Merriam's. When you get everything lined up, let me know and I may take you up on your offer.
    Sounds good G!

My buddy Scott went to SD two years ago in the middle of a snow storm. He has some good contact info throughout his recap of his hunt.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=751621&highlight=
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Thanks! Looks like he hunted during a heck of a storm!

Hunted close to there last year. I wish SD season lasted until the end of May.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtnap View Post
    Hunted close to there last year. I wish SD season lasted until the end of May.
    Did you kill any?

Awesome Picture Squatty!!! I killed my merriam not far from Mt. Rushmore and wish i would have thought of that for a backdrop...FRICK

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail Widowmaker View Post
    Did you kill any?
    Yes. I have never been out there and not killed them.

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    You don't say.....

Awesome photo!
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."