Thread: Flying / Gun

Default Flying / Gun

Heading out west again next week to turkey hunt. Normally put my shells in my luggage and not in the gun case. Anyone ever put their shells in the gun case when flying? Can't find anything on TSA's website saying that you can't or on the airlines site.

Talked to a guy who takes the foam insulation out of his gun case and packs everything in his gun case with his gun. Says he has never had an issue with it. Would save some money only haveing the gun case instead of one luggage bag and the gun case.

Thoughts?
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Last time we took ours to Montana I think we had to have the shells in the case locked up with them. This was with Delta, and where we got the info from. When the cases were checked they said everything was fine.
    Might want to look at Delta's website or whoever you're flying with.
    rip Dakota

Flying with delta again. Nothing on their site says you can't.

Never had any issues with TSA in the past with my guns, but I have never had my ammo in the case with my gun.

Putting everything in the lockable case would save me $70.
    Last edited by DMP; 04-23-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Put the shells in a factory box in your checked bag.

Close thread
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post

Close thread
    x2
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Close thread
    This right here. Been doing it for 10 or 12 years this way, never had a single problem. Save your empty hulls so you can make sure the box is full when you return. One year they tried to take a box of my shells because it was not full.

Eat the shells and shit them out drug mule style once you get to old Mexico... Eat salads after you eat the shells. Get a goldfish net to sift through the turds.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Close thread
    Probably a stupid question, but what if you're taking reloads? Will the TSA have a duck fit over my 7mm reloads that I want to take on my elk trip in November that won't be in a factory box?

I reckon I could just put them in one of the many factory boxes that are laying around my reloading bench, but I'd like to take them in something else if possible.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...and-ammunition

Ammo just has to be securely packed. Cardboard or metal container, it doesn't matter. You can put it in your gun case with your gun or other checked luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcdp View Post
    Probably a stupid question, but what if you're taking reloads? Will the TSA have a duck fit over my 7mm reloads that I want to take on my elk trip in November that won't be in a factory box?

I reckon I could just put them in one of the many factory boxes that are laying around my reloading bench, but I'd like to take them in something else if possible.
    Put them in factory box
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

As long as the ammo is separate and in the factory box put it in the case. I fly with guns all the time. Pro tip, don't use TSA locks, use real ones there are a bunch of crooks handling baggage.

There used to be confusion about the locks on your gun case. Half of TSA said they needed to be TSA locks and the other half said that they didn't. It is a little more clear on their website now. The locks on your gun case should not be TSA locks. You are the only one who should have access to your gun. When you check it as a firearm, you need to stick around for a minute and TSA will call you over to unlock your case. After they check your gun and mark it accordingly, they give you the keys back and it won't be opened again. If you don't declare it a firearm they will cut your locks and track you down. You can forget about getting on that plane.

I flew 4 times last year with guns. Each airport I departed from was a completely different experience. Regardless of their published rules, be prepared to be compliant with some idiot's demand, and be prepared spend an extra 30 minutes waiting on some unforeseen situation to be resolved. Sometimes its a painless process; sometimes it isn't. As far as packing things in your gun case, I always load it down with knives, optics, etc. No reason to waste the extra space. If you are going to fly with guns, a full size pelican gun case is the best investment you can make.

DMP, I have a friend of a friend of a friend (ok, it's me) who works for TSA. Make sure the gun isn't loaded or any loose shells floating around in the case. Have your shells in a factory box or 1 of those nice fancy she'll holders and you will be fine. Tell the airline you want the case to remain locked and that you will hang around for a few incase TSA needs to get in your case. Make sure you don't have any loose ammo or knives in your carry-on bags. You will be surprised how many people come thru with these items in their bag. If you have any other questions, PM me and I will gladly answer them.
    every expert was once a beginner

Another option that hasn't been mentioned and it may not be possible depending on the location but you could always buy what ammo you will need after you arrive at your destination.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    DMP, I have a friend of a friend of a friend (ok, it's me) who works for TSA. Make sure the gun isn't loaded or any loose shells floating around in the case. Have your shells in a factory box or 1 of those nice fancy she'll holders and you will be fine. Tell the airline you want the case to remain locked and that you will hang around for a few incase TSA needs to get in your case. Make sure you don't have any loose ammo or knives in your carry-on bags. You will be surprised how many people come thru with these items in their bag. If you have any other questions, PM me and I will gladly answer them.

Who would ever do such a thing?!
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

If you know where you will be staying just mail the gun to yourself with USPS. You may even be able to do it "General Delivery". You just have to sign for it when you get there to pick it up.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

If you mail it there are certain rules.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

You people could complicate taking a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    You people could complicate taking a dump.

Hahahah Ain't that the truth!