Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shrooms

Last time I ate shrooms I could feel my brain frying like an egg...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need that GI Joe kungfu grip.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroMan View Post
    Last time I ate shrooms I could feel my brain frying like an egg...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mergie, I have no idea if that tract ever sold or not, but I would hope so. Are they found in the Midlands as well? We have a couple of creek bottoms similar to the one we found those near, but I've never bothered to look in there.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by El A Minnow View Post
    Are there any other local shrooms that look like the morels?
    Morels are about the best beginner mushroom out there. It's hard to mistake them for other mushrooms. Nothing much looks like a morel. The closest I can think of is a false morel. If you have any doubts just split the mushroom down the middle from top to bottom. Morels are hollow, especially the stem. Color isn't much of a factor. Morels can be black to almost white. Most you'll find or brown to gray.

False Morel

False Morel (Gyromitra)

Note: One of the Gyromitra, the Gyromitra Carolininiana is edible. But to be safe just stay away from the False Morels.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 04-14-2015 at 11:20 AM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    Mergie, I have no idea if that tract ever sold or not, but I would hope so. Are they found in the Midlands as well? We have a couple of creek bottoms similar to the one we found those near, but I've never bothered to look in there.
    To be honest I have never looked for them in the Midlands. The furthest south I have found them was near Saluda. I tend to find them more to the north, northwest part of Greenwood and in Ware Shoals, Abbeville and Greenville, Anderson County. If they are found down there I would imagine it would be earlier than here.

On a similar note: There are no naturally growing (volunteer) Live Oaks north of the Edgefield County line. That's the fall line or what the old folks called the 'clime-line'. The only live oaks in Greenwood County have been planted. But as soon as you get to the Edgefield County line (25 miles S) you start seeing live oaks growing all through the woods. It's the same with Spanish Moss. I don't know if it's the soil type, the climate or both. A forester could probably tell me. It's kind of weird. I noticed it when I was a teenager deer hunting. Most people probably never notice it.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 04-14-2015 at 11:41 AM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I pick them through the summer.
    are they around our area clarkie?

a buddy of mine found some last week up towards florence and it was a first for him. i didnt even know we had them in sc.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    are they around our area clarkie?

a buddy of mine found some last week up towards florence and it was a first for him. i didnt even know we had them in sc.
    There are loads of wild edibles around Orangeburg county.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I like shrooms when I go to a Phish concert

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I like shrooms when I go to a Phish concert
    We ain't talking about these kind.

Never had em...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Monster Morel from near Nashville, 10AC:

That's a Celt.

Hat damn if it ain't. BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

You killin me SW
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"