Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump help

You can buy a 4 inch gas pump for 400 dollars. We bought one to pump out a pond we have and it works good and has been reliable. Set up an extended run tank on it. Just saying if your gonna spend 500 a day on a rental that would buy a pump.

Got a few more pics today while I was down there. Hope this helps
    The view of the dam from inside the field
    [IMG][/IMG]

View of the pond
    [IMG][/IMG]

Spillway on pond side
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ditch that the overflow dumps into
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

A couple more views of the dam from either end
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

There is another field on the other side of the ditch that you see the pond drains into. It also has millet in it but due to costs we haven't decided what to do on that yet. I did notice while looking today that the pond is higher than the field side of the dam. Prob about 10-15' higher.

Camo I am thinking that pumping it with a gas pump that small would take entirely too long, but I could be wrong. We are talking about 2.75 acres

[IMG][/IMG]

If you look you can see the square drain in the pond. The ditch it dumps Into runs right down between both fields.

You need to be using the law of gravity my friend...

That's what I'm thinking.

Does the drain have boards you can pull to lower the pond level?

If so tie into drain pipe to divert the water where you want it the pull the boards.

If you still need to rent a pump check with Richbourg rentals in Cola. As long as you have a CC they will rent to you.

The drain that dumps out into the ditch is a good 10' lower than the lowest point in the field. Haven't gotten close enough to the drain to see if it has boards.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Does the drain have boards you can pull to lower the pond level?

If so tie into drain pipe to divert the water where you want it the pull the boards.
    By far your best option. Get a trackhoe, find the pipe and install a riser. Valve it at the bottom where it's dumping in ditch.

A transit may come in handy.
    James 4:14

poke a hole in the bottom of the dam
    then plug it with 's duck mounts
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Digging and trenching is not an option as this is a lease.

So it looks like the general consensus us use a siphon??? Should this work with a dam that's close to 50' of run up one side ?

I was draining a pond with only a couple feet drop to a ditch about 50 feet away. I used 4" corrugated pipe. I strapped the lower end of the pipe to a post so that it was higher than the water level at the upper pond. I filled it with water at the pond and manually lifted it to get all the air/bubbles out of the pipe until I had the entire pipe full of water. You can tap on it to hear if it has any pockets of air. Once I had the pipe full, I immersed the upper end and then lowered the lower end, keeping it pointed up so it couldn't suck air. A pin hole will thwart you. Once I got the lower end submerged, it drained until the pond was level with the ditch. You've got a LOT more elevation to work with. It won't be prone to accumulating air bubbles because the flow will prevent it. You don't need a pump. All you need is a pipe full of water.

It doesn't matter how deep the ditch is. Tie into the pipe and send the water where you want it. As long as you are lower than the level you are drawing from it will flow. With that much elevation it will be hauling ass when it gets to the bottom of the hill.

http://dnrc.mt.gov/wrd/water_op/dam_...cal_note_9.pdf

This is a guidance document for siphon design for exactly what you are trying to do. It covers priming, inlet, outlets, etc

1st step is to check if a siphon is possible, check the equation on page 10. It's very simple math.

Edit: I thought the max lift of a siphon or suction pump was 32ft (approx depending on elevation/ atm pressure). Its called NPSH (net positive suction head)

Based on the equation in that document, it looks like 20ft is the max lift. I'm a little confused by that. I may look into that if get bored sometime soon.
    Last edited by Murray; 10-17-2014 at 11:39 PM.

If you're going to use a pump put it right next to the pond for minimum suction lift and run the discharge over the dam and down the hill.

You're making this harder than it is.
    Last edited by FLS; 10-18-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Oh thanks, don't know what I would have done without your help!! The rep already told me that. Just trying to explore my options before we spend a pile of money renting a pump.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

That pump made short work of your water needs!
    I gotta ask about your millet. I planted pearl millet for the first time this year.
    Yours looks not fully mature/dried out by my inspection of the photos. The panicles are still brown. Will it the grain dry out and reach maturity even if the plant is dead from flooding?
    I'm wondering because we are holding off flooding some. Either way I think the frost will kill our plants this weekend.