Thread: Harvest Figures

I was having a conversation with a friend this morning about unreported harvest. We all hear about it. Someone going to Canada and killing 300-500 ducks. Going to Mexico and killing 20 pintails a day.

If I'm not mistaken the USFWS gets peoples names from HIP reports and then sends them surveys where we come up with harvest figures.

IMHO, the figures we are using for limits and seasons(AHM) are underestimated. There is no way they can take into account the widespread slaughter that is taking place in Canada and Mexico. Not one of those ducks ever makes it home to a freezer.

If you surveyed a bunch of criminals do you think you would get an accurate estimate on how many banks they have robbed?

There is a thread on TOS about game wardens in Canada. There are folks up there who hunt everyday and haven't been checked once in 34 years. NOT ONCE. They say it's a free-for-all up there......do as you please with very little chance of being caught.

Wonder what those boys from Georgetown, who were convicted in ND,were putting on their HIP permits. I think testimony showed they had been doing it for years.

Wonder how the USFWS figures outlawing into their surveys?

Maybe we are producing enough and just killing too many continenet-wide.

Any thoughts?

This is my hunch and that's why I threw out the "duck tag" concept as the only way to truly control and/or measure harvest. Just the guys in Arkansas that don't have jobs and hunt Bayou Meta everyday make me question the validity of a HIP survey. Good post Cat.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I agree. I thought about this this season when hunting w/ 3 and four guys what does it do to the counts when each of us list the birds from that day as what we killed on the surveys? There definetly needs to be a better way to do counts.
    \"My idea of fast food is a mallard.\"- Ted Nugent

Harvest numbers are bogus. They are no way they are evenremotly correct . [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
    Plant it they will come.