Thread: Carolina gets NCAA notice of allegations

Default Carolina gets NCAA notice of allegations

I thought this had gone away...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...legal-benefits

CLINTON, S.C. -- The NCAA has accused South Carolina athletes of receiving $55,000 worth of impermissible benefits and recruiting inducements for getting reduced hotel rates and for their involvement with a Delaware-based mentoring organization.

The NCAA sent university President Harris Pastides the letter of allegations Monday and requested the school's response by Dec. 14.

Football coach Steve Spurrier was among those asked to meet with the NCAA's Committee on Infractions in Los Angeles on Feb. 17-18. Track coach Curtis Frye was also asked to attend the hearing.

Pastides said the university would review the allegations and cooperate with the NCAA.

"I assure you that we will continue to take all aspects of this investigation very seriously," Pastides said in a statement. "We are prepared to continue to work with the NCAA to resolve any issues."

SEC blog
    ESPN.com's Chris Low and Edward Aschoff write about all things SEC football in the conference blog.
    More:
    • ESPN.com's DawgNation
    • Blog network: College Football Nation

Spurrier did not take questions after practice Monday night.

The NCAA began its investigation at South Carolina in the summer of 2010, talking to former tight end Weslye Saunders about potential contact with agents during a trip to Miami. Instead, the NCAA found Saunders was among several athletes who lived at the Whitney Hotel for a reduced rate.

The NCAA said 10 football players stayed at the hotel at a rate of $14.59 a day. It found two members of the women's track team lived there at a rate of $14.16 per day. It said those rates were not available to the general public and gave athletes extra benefits worth $47,000.

In documents obtained from the school last October through a Freedom of Information Act request, its athletic compliance office had signed off on the rate of $450 per player for a two-bedroom hotel suite. The NCAA had deemed the rate should've been $57 per day for a total of $1,710 per month.

Last summer when Spurrier said he learned about the arrangements, he told his players to pay their bills and find acceptable places to live.

The NCAA's allegations also included dealings with the Student Athlete Mentoring Foundation, its president Steve Gordon and its treasurer Kevin Lahn -- both South Carolina graduates.

Earlier this month, the NCAA suspended freshman receiver Damiere Byrd four games and ordered him to repay $2,700 in impermissible benefits before he can play for the Gamecocks. Byrd's father, Adrian, is a vice president with the foundation.

Byrd has missed No. 12 South Carolina's first three games and will sit out Saturday's contest with Vanderbilt. He is expected to make his college debut Oct. 1.

The NCAA said Gordon and Lahn contacted South Carolina staffers in football, basketball and track about prospective student athletes and funded unofficial visits to campus for those prospects.

The NCAA also said Lahn paid $3,350 for a dinner cruise on Lake Murray about 10 miles away from campus for SAM members visiting for football camps in June 2010. Along with those prospects, 16 members of the men's and women's track team, along with Frye, attended the dinner cruise.

The benefits from Gordon and Lahn totaled $8,000, the NCAA said.

The NCAA also alleged that South Carolina failed to monitor either the hotel or the SAM situations.

South Carolina has disassociated itself from both Lahn and Gordon as university boosters, school spokeswoman Luanne Lawrence said.

Gordon has said the NCAA's practices, as well as its suspensions of Byrd and Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd -- also part of SAM -- are unfair.

The NCAA "can blackball me forever," Gordon said Monday by phone. "I'm trying to get inner-city kids to college."

Others the NCAA asked to attend the February hearing include athletic director Eric Hyman, quarterbacks coach G.A. Mangus and assistant men's basketball coach Michael Boynton.

Hyman said his staff would continue cooperating with the NCAA with the goal of making South Carolina's compliance efforts second to none.

"Any pertinent information from the NCAA that can help us strengthen our athletics program will be used as an opportunity to make positive change," Hyman said.

Does this mean they will have to vacate their last 3 bowl wins against FSU, UConn and Iowa? Oh wait....SEC Speed was not enough in those games.

The NCAA will cut schollies and Spurrier will cut low tier players, no big deal.

They can get a better deal in the hole with us and nooooooooobody would no.
    Anybody been here knows that.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Why is this story coming out of CLINTON? Has this town become a media power player?

(I love Clinton, SC- this is not a criticism, just interesting)

Will probably have a few shollys and official visits taking

Bet they fire GA Mangus over this.

Quote Originally Posted by smallwater View Post
    Why is this story coming out of CLINTON? Has this town become a media power player?

(I love Clinton, SC- this is not a criticism, just interesting)
    EXACTLY what I was thinking.

PC IS BEHIND IT ALLLLL!! It's a Blue Hose conspiracy. Now we know what the chickens mean when they say they're getting "hosed".
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Bet they fire GA Mangus over this.

If can piss in the streets while on a drunked stupor, I doubt anything can get him fired.

When Magnus heard of the allegations, he said...."piss on them."

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Look on the bright side, at least Carolina won't have to worry about vacating any Championships or bowl wins.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

FYI, if scar does have to vacate wins from 09 and 10, I will still give em credit for beating Clemson's behind, even though the records will show differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Spurrier always ran a clean program up until now. This shows the sheer desperation he feels at USC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Spurrier always ran a clean program up until now. This shows the sheer desperation he feels at USC.
    Duke and Floida's athletes are smart enough to keep their mouths shut and hide shit. He just hasn't ever been caught.

Sorry its done everywhere that winnings happening and always has been.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

bitterness

:cheatingbastardofacoach:

USC's Jim Tressel.